A lesson Learned

After agreeing with Tom Stephenson on the irritating nature of the character of the simpering Kathy Perks in  
The Archers....I got to thinking about things that really ( and I mean REALLY) irritate me.
Now despite my occasional grumpy demeanor, the list "of the hated" is not as extensive as I perhaps once realised. 
This morning as I was filling the animal water feeders I started to make a mental list to myself of all the things I don't like, and was busy chatting to myself as I was doing so ( a girl walking up the lane to catch the school bus obviously thought I was a bit of a lala)........

This was the start my original post for today, but on reflection I think it would be a little inappropriate to be bitching about the small things in life that piss me off. Yesterday when he was at Church, Chris volunteered me to help take the donated foodstuff from the Harvest Festival service to the homeless shelter down in Rhyl.
Although I am not in fact a Church goer, I am always more than happy to help out if the Church requires a hand with this or that, so I turned up promptly at 9.45 to help clear the Church windows of the scores of tinned goods,packets and fresh fruit and vegetables.
It's funny that as soon as we entered the Church , several pairs of helping hands suddenly turned up out of nowhere to help load up the cars and I was amazed that the small congregation in Trelawnyd had donated so much produce for charity .
People, especially in Britain can be rather sniffy towards "do gooding Church work".....I think I can understand this, as we all seem to have a  slightly "Dad's Army" view of old fashioned drafty village Hall Jumble sales and old lady arguments over who is doing the Church flowers, but the reality of something like today's car loads of food, to me, seemed rather valiant and rather nice.
The staff at the homeless shelter were genuinely touched and surprised with the amount of produce we delivered this morning.It was obvious that such gifts were not the norm, and it surprised me that I was indeed humbled by  the the whole brief experience   

This afternoon I took the dogs up the Gop were we sat  and watched the rabbits gambolling through the dark woods. Tonight I am working an extra shift on ITU, so will grab an hours sleep covered in dogs before I go

16 comments:

  1. Dogs make the best blankets, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you celebrated the harvest festival in all aspects of abundance John...loved that you changed gears mid-post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post John. I was wondering where you were going with it. Amazing how 'doing' good things makes us feel good inside.Don't work too hard!
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a very intent "watching the rabbits" look! Tee hee. Don't worry if the neighbors think you are a bit Doo Lally...it's fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a lovely way to pay tribute to the harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. John - I think you are amazing. I love the way you stopped me in my tracks and switched direction. The humble feeling that you get from "giving back" is very sobering and certainly puts you in a better place. I havn't been to a harvest festival since the kids left Junior school - it was always a laugh to see how many out of date "tins" the generous folk had sent. When I was little, someones mum always sent bread shaped like a sheaf of corn. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Small villages really can rally together for the better good - even if everyone is talking about someone else while they do it....

    Good on ya' for the positive outlook!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Making lists of things that you hate - far from being cathartic - can lead to an even more negative outlook on life, in my experience.

    I've said it before, but I always try to find the worst in people, nomatter how they initially present themselves. It saves so much disappointment in the future. Trust in God, but tie up your camel, as the good Mullah Nasrudin was supposed to have said.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope the dog doesn't start dreaming of chasing the rabbits while you're all sleeping! My pet hate are hose pipes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm happy to hear how warm and fuzzy it made you feel inside, delivering the harvest food, especially as you were volunteered for the errand.
    That's the part I like the best about helping others, the ones who are truly grateful, and show it.
    My gran (bakery owner) used to bake small Hovis bread loaves for me to take to the school harvest...oooh and custard tarts but they usually disappeared mysteriously, before I had chance to deliver them to the more needy.
    The walk with the dogs, sounds like a fine thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on such a great Sunday. Hope work goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea John, our local church no longer encourages a harvest display in church because "no one wants it any more".

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't it funny how our attitudes will change so quickly! One minute you're ready to start ranting, the next you realize that the 'little' things in life soothe the soul, heart and mind.
    Wonderful what all of you did.

    ReplyDelete
  14. dont credit me with doing anything overly sweet... I was more humbled by the way the congregation acted!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good post, and nice work helping cart the produce to the shelter. Even something that seems so small as delivering items can have a major impact on others, like the reaction from the workers at the shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Molly would have howled her lungs off if she saw a rabbit, but then she is a hound!!

    Gill

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes