The Burtons depart and a gift from the ghosts


Chris' family left for their long journey home this morning. It has been a nice and therapeutic visit. I use the word therapeutic personally here;  the commitments of animals and the long distances between North Wales and Broadstairs has meant that my own contact with the in laws has been somewhat limited and one sided and it has been lovely to rekindle a family relationship and to share the facets of our lives with each other after so long.

Last night Leo burst into the cottage with full wizard make up on. William was somewhat intrigued by the presence of such an ugly midget,(above) but the mask was soon removed so that the usual bout of dog hugging, stomach tickling and muzzle kissing could continue.
I have been fascinated with each dog's reaction to Leo. They are obviously not used to the maelstrom which is a child's behaviour, but each one has reacted rather benignly to the rough and tumble.
George spends most of the time being dragged into uncomfortable looking positions so that ears can be scratched and tummy's tickled and has enjoyed every minute of it. William has been tolerant and polite which is his way and Meg  has surprised me the most with a sudden and rather moving show of concern when after a rather tiring day Leo had a fit of the sobs.
Hearing the commotion, Meg raced over and to the astonishment of the room climbed up on Charlotte's knee to search the face of the distraught Leo.....I have never seen her do that before.


So with the family gone, the cottage has resorted back to it's quiet "normality"......I caught one of the ghost hens looking rather stooped and unwell. After a brief struggle I managed to give her the once over and caught sight of a small egg stuck firmly in her vent! Bless.... not built for egg laying the battery hen had defied the odds and had produced her first,somewhat undersized but perfectly formed prize!
I had an inkling to how to help. I gave the fat girl a gentle prod with my plastic rake and she started to waddle towards her hen house ( the plastic rake means bedtime in Ghost hen language)
When the ghost hens move they invariably increase their abdominal pressures ( because of their big weight) and when they walk they fart and expel poo with a fair and rather disgusting gusto....
Getting her to break into a hefty trot, she let out an almighty raspberry and the egg shot around a foot and a half out of her back end!!!
Half pleased with herself and just a little surprised, she turned to check out her first egg., lying in the grass and I managed to snap the above photo!
Never a dull moment  

25 comments:

  1. I love the picture of the ghost hen as she stands there no doubt thinking 'that came out of me??!!' I'm glad you were there to help her in her final stages of 'labor' so she could safely deliver her egg!

    Do you think a 'stuck egg' could have been the problem with the ghost hen on Thursday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting the picture of Leo - VERY scary! Also glad the dogs took it in stride and didn't become too alarmed at the monster in their presence.

    GREAT NEWS about the ghost hen and her egg. Way to go, young lady :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quiet after they left. must have deafening, although, I would say a relief! Things do get out of step when there's somebody else in the house.

    The poor ghost hen, I am sure she was thinking "What the----?" Glad it came out and you didn't have to do any steaming or greasing or whatever you did to that other one who had an egg stuck.

    Happy Sunday, John, If I don't make sense - I just got up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness! Congratulations to Madame Ghost Hen on her egg! I think Leo is especially spooky with that costume! woooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of us are made for 'giving birth', others not! Probably felt really good!
    It's always still when company goes....but only for a second. Have a great day/rest.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:41 pm

    I just love your style of writing.

    A poke with the plastic rake and the rest of the story made me laugh. Thanks for all your wonderful stories.

    Peace!

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a chicken story!I agree with Barbara,you write wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  8. John, Leo is too cute and quite scary. The ghost hen story had me laughing in stitches. I just love your direct and candid style--it's perfect.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the valiant effort of the Ghost Hens to live a normal life, despite the odds. So glad it turned out well.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad that the dogs weren't "scared" of Leo in his frightening costume. Of course, animals always see the inner person, anyways.

    Congratulations to the little Ghost Hen on her wonderful egg!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post is technically illegal, isn't it? Should I 'report abuse' as I am always being advised to by Google? At least it wasn't a video.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When my sister V. was about to give birth to her son, I had a nurse advise me to prod V. to walk about the labour ward to get things moving. Unfortunately, didn't work, 17 hours later they finally decided on a Cesarian section!
    Leo is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations to the Ghost Hen. Strange things happen on Halloween. Sounds like you had a really nice visit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good doggies, being so mellow with the kids. And ghost hen, what a job! She must have been very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well that Ghost Hen should be quite pleased with herself!

    Leo I am sure will miss the doggies very much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved the ghost hen story! Well done, little hen.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How cool that she awarded all your hard work with an egg!

    Sounds like you had a fantastic time again with Leo. I know exactly what you mean about havig animals and not being able to gtravel like we used to. Or stay gone like we used to. Or even come home late like we used to.

    ReplyDelete
  18. After seeing the video you posted not long ago with all the bell ringing and crowing going on I don't know that "quiet" is the word I'd use to describe things around there, but I'm glad you had a nice visit with Chris's family.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The description of the egg exit was too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous6:07 am

    I'm glad your visit with the "fam" was so satisfying, John. And terrific mask on Leo! I was scared all the way over here in Idaho.
    Meg sounds like she's got a tender little heart. Our dog did that once when my sister was here. It was shortly after our mother died and Sis was having a very, very rough day. Dane found her sitting out on the grass and just lay down next to her for as long as she needed him. I think some dogs can just sense us that way.
    And Tammy said it best for me: "Love the valiant effort of the Ghost Hens to live a normal life, despite the odds." Bravo Madame Ghost Hen. Really. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Excellent writing John. The dog story moving, the chicken . . . well it was happily moving too!! I read with great fascination how these ghost hens will play out. To see love without prejudice is a beautiful thing. Peace

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wish everybody could produce something productive when letting out an "almighty raspberry"!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your description of the ghost hen laying her first egg has me chuckling! Thanks for the Monday smiles!
    Glad your visit with young Leo was great.

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOL John I LOVE your description of the egg laying event...what a great 'visual'! Aww the poor little dear. Isn't that swee the way your dogs got along nicely with the little fellow and especially Meg's (?) reaction to his crying. Must have been her motherly instinct. I hope you have a wonderful evening with Chris and your critters. Maura :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice that you hosted Leo and his dad & mom. I rememeber when you entertained him last. Has he grown a bunch?? Still looks like a cutie!

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes