It's Back


Now I am looking forward to the "rant" that is to come from friend Nigel if he reads this blog entry....yes it is reality mush time for the "middle classes"...as Strictly Come Dancing returns to the Autumn tv schedules on the BBC.

Very slightly past its sell by date, the eighth series (?) has dragged up the usual controversy amongst the net curtain brigade and Daily Mail readers of our green land by posing the vital and important questions and worries such as- will former MP Ann Widdecombe's bloomers remain firmly in place as the implausibly named Anton du Becke drags her round the dance floor like a farmer humping a bag of spuds.....?

Finally, I think, the reign of the tv "reality show" is coming to an end.. but Strictly will limp on for a few years yet because of one important factor!........ It is fun!
The celebrity dancers galloping into the fame limelight this year, actually learn a new skill which is refreshing ( and I am amused that we seem to have a "glut" of more mature lady celebrities this year- which I guess is the BBC's way of apologising for axing the mature Arlene Philips from the judging panel),
Now, I can hear Nigel's teeth grinding in Manchester from here!....but I cannot quite see why....Strictly is a quintessentially English phenomenon ( apologies to my non UK readers, but your versions of the show, for me , don't quite work as well)....despite the glitter and sequins, the dancers generally are "just a little too repressed and self conscious" to cope with the latin numbers, a thing which is so British andsomething that makes the programme just that little bit enjoyable.........coping with the awful "being made a fool of" is something the Brits just dont do well......humm we are a funny old breed.....
bring it on......

12 comments:

  1. I suspect I'm with Nigel

    ReplyDelete
  2. dan
    and this spoken by a man wwho can almost speak klingon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. John I agrre with you. I enjoyed the programme last night and I am looking forward to it starting in, October. My husband isn't though. He went to bed at 21.00 last night - SCD, followed by Merlin was just too much for him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marvelous ! Bring Arlene back & get rid of the laughing Hyena !

    My kids can't stand Brucey - I tell them he is a marvelous ( there's that word again ) entertainer & I grew up watching him on Saturday nights - so there !

    Mind you - I think Anton would make a Marvelous Stricty Presenter !

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS my teenage daughter actually screamed during Merlin it was that good !Great seeing Amelia Fox in it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Naturally, I have never seen the British version, just the American - I only watch the last show, where they actually know what they are doing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Dancing with the Stars" is one of my guilty pleasures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't miss an episode of "Dancing with the Stars" if I can help it. Even though, most of the time, you can pretty much narrow it down to one of two or three who are going to win, from the very first episode.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dancing with the Stars is a guilty pleasure I enjoy watching.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must say that I do look forward to our version, Dancing With the Stars, as well.
    Always wanted to have been a dancer myself, I love to watch how the non-stars progress or mostly make fools of themselves.
    Ours (US) starts in a week or so. Let the games begin.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  11. mmm well I really have no opinion lol as I have never seen this show here or there LOL.

    But I do have a brand new kid on the farm as of this morning! You need to come see his picture :O).

    ReplyDelete
  12. We dont watch it here, we are X Factor!! xxx
    PS Did you know the place where I was stood?

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes