A Good Friend

Meet my new best friend.
He is with me for the majority of the day,
He chatters away with all manner of interesting comments,
he can entertain me come rain and come shine,
 and he will shut up exactly when I want him to!
He is my solar powered digital radio.
In the mornings he allows the velvet voiced Harriet Cass to give me the world news on BBC's Radio 4 when the animals are all beginning to stir,and then he entertains me with London Talk radio when I trudge around filling water buckets and shovelling shit.
At Lunchtime Boris and I have our shared lunch whilst listening to the pompous tones of  James O'Brien or the amusing but inane chatter of Jeni Barnett and I am not embarrassed when some local walkers hear me listening to my other favourites such as the ever faithful Woman's Hour when I am digging the allotment or cleaning out the coops
Sitting under the elms when on Foxwatch, the middle class saga of The Archers is always at hand with its comforting plodding story lines and last night the BBC Radio 7 has been re playing a classic 1950 serial Journey Into Space which I have listened to for over a week now , and which is crammed full of plummy English accents and cliffhanger endings- a little piece of history.

My radio friend is a constant. He entertains me, informs me and even frightens away the foxes when I leave him "on guard"......Not much to look at, but cheap to keep happy, I couldn't stand a day without him.

15 comments:

  1. Yes! The "man-in'the-radio" is much more real than someone real with an opinion! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John! I've never heard of any of those programes, but they sound like my cup of tea! :-)

    I have a new best friend myself, it's an iPod...It's just too bad that I have to pay for that friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is odd to have an object for a friend, saying that, my puckity and tank are my best friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good plug for the BBC and a great companion I can see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your radio ~ my Jeep.

    Isn't it amazing how little it can take to make us happy?

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a slice of heaven to me. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least it doesn't talk back, it just talks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:42 pm

    Hi John! I'm seizing a couple of extra minutes to try and catch up with your posts of the lasts couple weeks. Boy I've missed the way you see life! I love the radio but have struggled with how to have one playing when I'm out roaming around the garden. Solar powered!! There's a solution I hadn't thought of. What's your new friend's name? Radio Head? Blather Box? Newt the News Guy?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really wish I had a digital radio in my car. I love 6 Music and BBC 7 with a passion. I settle for the iplayer on my iphone, which does the job really - but I still envy you your mate.

    Incidently on of my friends was on the Archers last night - playing a chap called Barry I think. I've yet to listen to it (as I hate the damn program)

    ReplyDelete
  10. dia, nice to have you back on board
    Dan..... I never put you in the thespian bracket

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well how handy is that! I didn't even know there was such a thing as a solar digital radio!!

    Now that could come in handy around here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aahh, The Archers the with the popular Barwick Green theme tune.....I'm sitting here with a smug smile on my face ;)
    Your little radio is lovely, and no batteries to buy !
    I need a new best friend ....

    ReplyDelete
  13. My Bose is my constant companion too! Except when I'm outside or cleaning down at The Rock, then I use my little portable...but it's not solar powered. That's pretty cool. After reading some past posts, I'm thinking maybe you should cut out the cruciferous veggies. And maybe try a little olive oil before eating. Dr.Cassie, no chargefor this service!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you have your trusty radio companion to keep you company.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hubby also has the radio going when and where ever he is working. I prefer the quiet and we have a quite a few battles over it. I finally gave him an I Pod with good headphones. That has my sanity and the marriage.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes