Facing The Day



Winnie and Jo
 Animals are like people; some like the geese face the day with an exuberance that is almost infectious whilst others like the ghost hens take at least ten minutes before they haul their fat bottoms out of their hen house in order to take slow deep beakfuls of water from their water bowl (they are the only animals that have to have a bowl of their own)
The field wakes up in fits and starts.
The guinea fowl, I know will be waiting noisily for me to scatter some corn for them before I open the 18 houses for the day. Ivy, the runty female, is now a robust adult bird and with Alf and Hughie the trio are a permanent and welcomed addition to  the old church yard.
The Magpie ducks, separated for the night from the geese,literally whip themselves into a frenzy before they are reunited with Winnie and Jo and together the little knot of five birds totter off to the stream to bathe and drink, content that their flock is reunited.
Boris whistles his strange mournful greeting as I lift him out of his house and stands blinking in the daylight with  rather tatty looking mates Gloria and Theresa behind him as wave upon wave of hens surge back and forth on the grass searching for food after I open each hen house in turn.
This morning the rain has been heavy and just that little bit cold, so I have left the heat lamp on over the runner ducklings for the day.
This daily routine is always interesting yet never changes!
The ducklings are putting on weight and are growing quite nicely but will not be going outside until they are feathered up, I need to clean them out yet again this morning   
I also need to harvest the remaining beetroot, sweetcorn, potatoes,onions and artichokes today, but as usual the rain has started to fall yet again......
I think I may bunk off and sneak to the cinema...I have a credit ticket to utilize!!!

11 comments:

  1. Good morning John! I don't know how you do it all! I feel so overwhelmed by being a "single parent" and never get to enjoy the things that I really love, like blogs! :-))

    But it seems like you're doing well and your day is off to a good, but wet start! Nice here in Virginia. We've had some welcomed and needed rain and cooler temps. Fall is here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't birds awesome! So much is learned about us, from watching them. My yard is full now of the chicken who were chicks in the spring. It was cute to watch them grow up, free in the yard, but now I must capture them all for the coup. Unfortunately they have given new meaning to "poop deck" as my new deck now is desperate for a coat of paint to hide the stains. Peace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning John,
    At least it's morning here in Kansas. My mornings are similar to yours only with a lot less critters to let out. I love how they all greet the day...the sounds and most of the smells. I hope you got to head to the cinema today. Take care.
    Maura :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just don't know how you do it all, John! I suppose it is all automatic now and you could do it in your sleep. My dogs get up with the dawn and have already gone to bed for a little more sleep.

    I hope you make it to the cinema and enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a routine! Just mentioned to Ron that we are finally getting into one that works for us both.
    Your is busy for sure and rewarding at the same time with all that 'family' waking up and running about. How was the movie?
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had Guinea Fowl for finner on Monday. Interesting texture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. John, you should write a book! Your style of writing is so lyrical, so readable that what ever subjuct you wrote about (hopefully your life and your animals) would be a pleasure to read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Nancy K. is right, you should put all of the adventures you have told us about into a book. It would be a darn good read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think a cinema trip is in order. I feel for the farmers that do the same routine every single day and never a break...that is my husband too. He wouldn't have it any other way but all good farmers need a break :)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, John. This is so lovely. It's so nice that your animals teach you so much about life. You're a regular Henry David Thoreau or Annie Dillard.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes