Wild domesticity and Sherlock gets better and Better

This morning I have been on catch up after the weekend. I caught two of the junior flock (the chicks that hatched in the spring) and had them ready for one of the sisters at work to collect to augment her small flock. I refused any payment for them ( this sister is a delight to work with) but she did present me with a large bag of corn, a bottle of wine and a huge chocolate cake in lieu of payment which was very kind.
Swapping favours and materials is common in the country and I always make an effort to do people a favour as it were as often people will always remember a kindness. Today one of the old farmers stopped for some eggs, and as usual I refused any payment simply saying that he can do me a favour "whenever"..........In the future I know, there will be perhaps a bag of sawdust for the coops or a small bag of wheat left by the gate when I am least expecting it.

So this morning I have sorted the bedding out for our guests later in the week ( remember Chris' dad and 7 year old nephew are visiting) and have just had enough time to drop some scones and eggs in for Rowenna ( a very distant relative of mine that lives in the village) she has recently had her hip replaced and is just battling through her mobilizing rehab. I have been meaning to call around but the allotment open seemed to have monopolized my time somewhat.

Anyhow.....while I was busy nature seems to have governed the domestic side of the allotment animals, Bingley (above) the Bourbon stag escaped from his enclosure and sought out the convalescing Boris, who has always been somewhat of a Nemesis.
The younger male has obviously sensed that the more powerful Boris is still well under par, and has taken advantage of the older male's weakness.
When I came home, I found Bingley, all puffed up and fraught inside Boris' enclosure with Boris nowhere to be seen.........the old guy has somehow squeezed through the small poophole in the hen house and was sitting in the safety of the coop well out of the way of Bingley and his vicious beak and claws....For a turkey this show of brains is a rarity believe me

The goslings also have been stretching their natural aggressive wings and spied a local ( and unknown to them) family visiting the field when I was inside cleaning the kitchen floor.
As young as they are , their innate instinct to protect their territory from strangers kicked in and I could hear their angry honking from the cottage. The family has warily fended off the youngsters but I was incredibly pleased that my planned "watchdogs" had started to do their job!

This lunchtime I have been busy shelling, freezing and cooking a glut of fresh peas. Thank goodness for BBC i player, as I also had the opportunity to watch the final Sherlock series episode entitled The Great Game.
Steven Moffit and Mark Gatiss has wisely kept the best story till last and I thought the whole episode was a masterclass in style, content and acting as Sherlock ( the immensely watchable Benedict Cumberbatch) and his only friend Watson (Martin Freeman) finally do direst battle against a remarkably evil and surprisingly young Moriarty.
The plot had more twists and turns to keep even the most avid Holmes fan entertained and Cumberbatch lends just a little more depth to the genius psychopath's irritating and self obsessed personality in a remarkably light performance.
To my American readers, try watching this episode on BBC i player (
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/) I do so hope you are able to access it.
9/10

10 comments:

  1. Boris is too cool. I hope he heals quickly and returns to his royal self. Bad Bingley, sneaky boy.
    Speaking of trades and favors-this has become a way of life for us since we started farming. I adore sharing the fruits of our labor, and I find that my fellow farming friends feel the same way. It works for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad Boris was able to get to a safe place. Its a ugly thing when two males get at one another on the farm. I can only speak for ducks and goats but whew neither of those situations is good so I can imagine two male turkeys would not be pretty either.

    I too love to barter. Its fun and no money involved for everyone. Who would not like that!I always think its a compliment when people value your product or service enough to barter with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right about that being uncommonly smart for a turkey...I like them a lot but they have proved to be the only creatures I know that will walk right out to a coyote or dog...and promptly get themselves eaten! Bartering is wonderful.. it is the way of country folks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait a minute, I thought you gave Bingley away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. no bingley was always with me...
    was thinking of loaning him out to the owner of theresa ( for mating) but theresa was dropped off with me ( and Boris) and hasn't been collected as yet!!!
    best laid plans..........

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nice when you can swap one thing for another! Age old way of doing things. That's how we got the garage resided, he swapped the 250 cc for the siding and labor.

    Oh, what a problem for poor Boris! Is he much the worse? Never heard of a smart turkey, always though they were dumb as a post. I hope he can get over this latest "hump".

    Yep, I figured Winnie and Jo to make good watch dogs. They can be quite formidable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad Boris is safe from the young buck.
    Trading is the way to go these days. Not sure how the economy is over there, but here in the States it is awful. More and more people are trading for goods. Well, at least the folks I know here are.
    Well, so much for 'talking' you into donkeys as gaurdians. You have the goslings doing a might fine job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor Boris. We have wild turkeys where I am, and I've found that they are smarter than you think. Especially during hunting season.

    And alas, BBC players only work for those in the UK. I have tried before to watch shows there, but was always blocked. This is still the case. I'll have to wait for BBC America to pick up Sherlock. ;) Sometimes that can be a wait.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can tell your American chums that they should be getting to see Sherlock on whatever it is that shows BBC programmes over there in the Autumn.
    Loved Professor Moriarty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sherlock was great! Wonderful recommendation. We too can't access i-player either, luckily I have a cyber man who does! Between your ctitique and that of the UK "The Week" we are able to indulge in sensible viewing! Less than 2 weeks to go! Fatbird x

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes