Traffic cones in the Graveyard and morning observations

After the council workmen had cut the old Churchyard grass yesterday three brightly coloured traffic cones appeared much to the consternation of the guinea fowl, who crowded around them chattering furiously.
I ambled over to have a nose at what was going on, only to find that two of the older graves had collapsed into themselves, leaving rather creepy dark cave like holes in the grass.
I have been asked several times do I ever get nervous at living right next door to the Graveyard and I can honestly say no.
Now I am no goth here! I don't get my kicks wandering around, dressed all in black and musing about death all of the time, but there is something rather peaceful and almost comforting about the presence of old tombstones and graves.
No doubt the health and safety boffins will be swarming around the Church with their clipboards and red tape tomorrow!

Boris is slowly improving but still remains weak and pale after his collapse of last week. This morning he ambled over to stand under my arm as I fed him titbits of left over dog food and a piece of wholemeal bread and although quiet, I think the improvement I saw on Tuesday is continuing.
I have given him the wonder drink of apple cider vinegar in his water,wormed him, and sneaked him tasty morsels but the recovery remains slow.
Perhaps some of the turkey owning blog readers could suggest things that may well help even more?




On the other hand, the Ghost hens are going from strength to strength! Fat like ducks they waddle out of their coop every morning eager to face the day. They resemble a gaggle of old fashioned (mack and headscarf- you know the type) ladies that are off to do a bit of shopping as they do their circuit of the vegetable patches. Then, when they realise that they have daringly walked some 20 yards from their hen house, they look at each other, raise their heads in mild panic and then break for home (right pic)

I know I will not cull them now, the joy of seeing them turn from sick, sad little birds to robust bouncing hens is such a tonic, that the thought of eating them literally leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth....I have an idea....If they continue to improve, I will set them up with Jesus when his leg mite problem has improved. - Hopefully they will breed some impressive eating birds who will also lay

8 comments:

  1. I love old cemeteries too,I know exactly what you are talking about when you say there is a peace there.

    The only thing i know of that effects turkeys quickly like that is Blackhead disease...it is spread through bird and chicken droppings...but I don't know if you have that disease over where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melodie
    I have treated him for blackhead already....first thing I did.... many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that Boris is improving. The Ghost hens...., I knew it, you are a big puddin heart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They (ghost hens) look a lot like a few of mine. We had 14 originally, but we sold a few at market and ate one or two. (I think, we did, anyway). They are cornish x rocks. Mine are sooooo fat! They're only good for broilers now. The eat a lot. Mike let them out yesterday, and when I drove up the ran as fast as their fat little legs would let them go to greet me at the truck. I always get a good chuckle to see such a funny thing. When the realize I don't have food they run even faster, and even flap a little to get back to the niblets of spilled grains and pellets that I drop on the ground on occasion.

    I used to live next to a cemetary. We called it the grave yard, really. No big deal. I didn't wander in black either, but I used it to my advantage to scare my friends and especially my sister's friends when they stayed over!
    Hopes for Boris recovery. Not a turkey person unless it's on my dinner plate. Sorry.
    ~Randy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard that Jesus had a mite problem!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Living next to an old cemetary would be so fascinating. All that history!! Wow!
    I knew you wouldn't be able to eat the ghost hens. :) They sure do look wonderful.
    Happy to hear Boris is getting better with each passing day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. most graveyards in Canada now require you to have a concrete liner in your burial plot to prevent the graves caving in.......more bloody expense to be buried!!

    Glad to see Boris is improving....

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you, I had a sneaky feeling you wouldn't be eating them. They will probably be good layers anyway.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes