Jet lag and thin sausages

Chris tried not to succumb to jet lag but gave up the ghost yesterday evening and has slept heavily throughout the night. I gave him a lie in, walked the dogs then made him breakfast in bed.
When he has travelled, Chris has a tendency to obsess slightly about food he has enjoyed in the country has just left. Apparently he loved breakfast sausages, eggs and fried potatoes in Canada ( Canadian readers please let me know if this is a "national" dish)..so left instructions for us to recreate this feast today.
I could be arsed sorting out potatoes, and Chris was too tired to worry about it, he shovelled down his breakfast and with a happy George curled up next to him has returned to a jet lagged sleep.
It's nice to be back to normal

Yesterday I constructed two magpie-proof chick enclosures. Kate Winslett and Chick Constance is installed in one and Lilly and her three chicks now have the other (above). I always marvel at the robust nature of these little scraps of fluff . I always think that they look like dandelion seed balls balanced on the top of a couple of pipe cleaners and their ability to leap on top of their mothers never fails to impress me.

The goose eggs are due for hatching in 3 or 4 days time, and the shed is all ready for them if I am lucky enough to have some goslings. I have no experience of hatching out geese but I suspect that they will be as tough as ducklings are when very young. Only baby turkeys are delicate and often sickly after hatching.

I am working nights tonight,so both of us will be mooching around doing nothing special- it sounds like a normal Sunday to me.

14 comments:

  1. glad things are back to normal ...I'm still waiting for my cooked breakfast !
    The chicks are adorable

    ReplyDelete
  2. no that's not a national dish but a lot of places serve it. Now if he had asked for coffee and doughnuts or muffins that would have been more like it, as Tim Hortons is a national institution in Canada. A lot of people cannot start the day without a cup of coffee from Timmies...........I'm not one of them......it's too strong for me.

    Gill in Canada

    If you pop by my blog today, you will end up humming the most annoying tune for ever more......be warned!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The breakfast sounds like a heart-stopping one, and one that being from the south I would love too--But if you could make me some gravy and biscuits, I'd be quite happy!! Enjoy your Sunday John!! I'm glad Chris has made it home safely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a good breakfast! We some times have it, sometimes we have sausage biscuits, sometimes biscuits and gravy - either sausage or chocolate. Think it will be biscuits and chocolate gravy this morning!

    Good that Chris is home safe and sound!

    The peeps are so cute!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There! Now we can all breathe a little better now that Chris is back.

    As Gill said, it's not a national dish, but you can get it almost anywhere in North America.

    Those chicks are the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nah, the true national dish in Canada is Poutine
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine
    The eat it while drinking milk that comes in bags
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_bag
    and wearing their toques
    http://www.ehow.com/facts_4969945_what-toque-hat.html

    See, that's knowledge you gain when you are on a forum for years where the American Thanksgiving Day is, on this forum, "Canadian Invasion Day," filled with posts about all of the above, plus moose and, of course, good looking Mounted Policemen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Morning John! Being a Canadian married to an American I agree with Gill...that breakfast isn't a national dish but it's something we have very often. I prefer pancakes sausage and eggs though. Fried potatoes are good too...with onions of course! Your chicks are coming along nicely...your Lilly looks like my Buttercup. I hope one day we'll have chicks hatched by a mom or two. Sounds like Chris is catching up nicely...have a wonderful day! Maura :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Baby chicks are just so lovely aren't they John, and amazingly resiliant most of the time. Enjoy the breakfast, sounds great to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the chicks!! Take a break and have a sip of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Breakfast without fried potatoes (not French fries, but pan-fried leftover potatoes, sliced or diced) is like a day without sunshine. :) I like the Full English, with the Canadian potato option!That's what happens when your parents come from England to settle in Canada: culinary confusion!

    ReplyDelete
  11. And I loooooove the photo of Lily and chicks!

    Now I'm craving bacon and eggs and fried mushrooms and fried potatoes, and if my Dad were still alive, he'd fry me a piece of bread in lard (which probably explains the state of his arteries when he died!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry, me again. But about poutine, yes, a true national dish. Check out my friend's poutine blog:

    http://www.poutinechronicles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh look, me again. I have no scientific evidence, but I suspect our breakfast potato tradition might have come from the USA, where homefries and hash browns are de rigueur at breakie.

    I often make a few extra boiled tatties when I'm cooking them for supper, and put them in the fridge for breakfast slicing and pan-frying.

    And Gill is so right, Tim Hortons is a Canadian institution (although I loathe them.)

    Okay, I promise to shut up now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. here in the south we cook sausage, eggs and fried potatoes for breakfast too. I make a mean potato casserole...
    I hope your baby goosies hatch. My turkeys had a little incubator malfunction-I hope the eggs will survive it. Due to hatch in 2 weeks now.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes