Marion

Now while Cate Blanchett makes for a spunky and not so maidly "I'm as good as any man" Marion...My mind got to thinking about probably the best and most famous of the cinematic Maid Marions.....namely Olivia deHavilland.
On reflection, de Havilland was a stunning and rather charismatic film star. She was beautiful,charming and had the most perfect modulated speaking voice that belied the fact that she had a steely strength beneath her English rose looks.

I guess that the closest film character to the real Olivia deHavilland's personality was in fact her most famous creation, and that was the southern belle Melanie from Gone with the Wind.
Polite, socially warm and dignified yet when the chips were down, a woman who would fight tooth and nail for herself and her family...
Some of this personality was evident in her earlier film The Adventures Of Robin Hood.
Ok her Marion was a real Maid, and not as practical as Blanchett's interpretation of the character ( I couldn't quite see deHavilland shoeing a cart horse as Cate did), but for me the quintessential Marion must always be Olivia deHavilland

7 comments:

  1. Don't know that I have seen Cate - looks more like she might be ok as Joan of Arc. I will just have to wait and see.

    I loved Olivia deHavilland, she was great in anything she did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the old movies! I'm old too but I do think the old movies had better stories and actors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, there! I ventured across the pond from "Front Porch Indiana" to your blog.
    I live in Southern Indiana.
    We have a tiny plot that I love to refer to as "the farm," although it is not technically a farm.
    Stop by for a visit some time,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Heiress - probably Olivia's finest hour: "I can be cruel. I was taught by masters!"

    Or how about In This Our Life, striking sparks off Bette Davis.

    And in A Midsummer Night's Dream she was simply a vision on beauty.

    Britain's finest export!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And the truly great news is that she's still with us - God bless her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved everybody in Gone with the Wind, especially Clark Gable. haven't seen the new Robin Hood, but I did catch Russell Crow throwing a wobbly on Radio 4 when Mark Lawson said his accent sounded a bit "Irish"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And while we're about it let's not forget the ultimate Hood villain, Basil Rathbone. He was himself an expert fencer which is why the fight in the Flynn film is so good.

    Talking of villains in Hood, I have to mention the great Alan Rickman in the otherwise derisory Prince of Thieves, worth sitting through the rubbish just for him.

    I haven't yet seen the new one but I must admit Blanchett looks great in the trailer and one of the villains is the sublime Mark Strong, so I will get round to it some time but probably after Prince of Persia.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes