Turkey lore

Turkey lore IS......turn your back on your stock for a few minutes and something bad will always happen!
This morning was a case in point.....finally with the rain gently pattering down, I got stuck in with planting out broccoli and sprouts. I was a little behind in today's jobs as I had called down to Rhyl to collect our donated trophy from the engravers (8 quid to engrave 10 letters!!!!), then took the Berlingo to the garage to sort out some coolant problems (what do I know?)
Anyhow I could hear the turkeys in their enclosure having loud "turkey sex" as I worked so I ignored them (turkey lovin' is not a pretty sight!!!!!!!!!)
After a great deal of calling and shrieking I finally chanced a glimpse at the "action" only to see Bingley totally crushing a prostrate and inert Jane, the slate female in the corner of the field.
I ambled down to take a closer look and was horrified to see Jane with the fence netting wound firmly around her neck. The bird looked dead and it took an absolute age to free her from the fence and from the attentions of a fat amorous young stag! When I checked her, she didn't look as though she was breathing.
I lifted her up cupped my hand around her beak and blew hard. This I did a couple more times and miraculously Jane took a couple of gulps of air....I had resuscitated my first turkey!!!- who says I have not practiced my nursing skills after working only one shift a week!
Below is a photo of her around half an hour later



Like I said I finished some more planting in the light rain, then fixed an additional bit of fencing to the top of the church wall to stop the final three escapee hens Susan, Belle and Blanche from walking around the old churchyard........so far it seems to be working.
Tonight I am off to see the documentary Erasing David, which sounds intriguing..review later


12 comments:

  1. Wow!! Al in a days work huh John?! Glad you were there to rescue poor Jane from the fence netting and the amorous Bingley!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mouth to Beak breathing? I must say, that's a new one to me. At least you caught her before it became fatal!

    Enjoy your show!

    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky Jane that you were around. Congratulations on saving a life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness! It was wonderful of you to save Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way cool! Like lipping much? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, that Bingly isn't particular if they are alive or dead (near), huh? I have heard of firemen doing that to kittens and dogs, first time I heard of turkey resuscitation though, glad it worked and she's now up and walking around!

    The garden is looking good! So happy you are finally getting some rain!

    Der... how much is a quid?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey John, you are a 'jack of all trades'. Jane will be forever in your debt!

    I find planting during a light rain is the perfect time.....gives the plants a chance to settle in and they are 'watered' in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have loved to see that. Turkey's do seem to be dopey creatures don't they?

    I wish you would come on over and plant up my veggie patch, it's going no where fast at the moment!!

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, it's better to enjoy your turkeys than have my own!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice save, John! When I was a kid we had a rooster that would jump on anything and try to mate with it.
    He was responsible for my dog being terrified of anything with feathers for years after.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I shudder to think what would happen if you were not around the place on a daily basis.
    So much can go wrong in so little time, especially come mating season :)
    We had a flock of wild turkeys in the woods this morning, I counted 40 and then stopped.
    You are a busy, busy man, all that planting and resuscitating, you deserve a night out at the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww - that brought a little tear to my eye! What a lucky turkey!! Well done you xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes