The 5am flat footed ex dancer

Chris had to get up at some sort of ungodly hour to catch the early train to London, so I am awake and wide eyed now at 5.15am! No matter how quiet he thinks he is when preparing for work, he still possess the heavy flat feet of the dancer that he used to be.
Flat feet on bare floorboards ......means no sleep at 5am!
I am not complaining though, usually I can fall back asleep at the drop of a hat, today for some reason I am now wide awake
So I have walked the dogs who were not really happy to be dragged down the lane in the dark, had a coffee and now am doing what any self possessed blogger would do at this time

Yesterday I caught up with more spring planting. More cauliflower, cabbage, and neat rows of leeks joined the mange tout, early salad fare, spinach and strawberry beds....I am worried I may have peaked too early as I hear severe frosts are on the way. I have some frost protection covers, which I shall unearth today in readiness, but the job of protecting the seedlings is an arduous one to say the least

Rogo looked a little droopy yesterday too. He sat quietly away from his flock looking rather sorry for himself, so I caught him (he must be ill if he allowed me to catch him!) and gave him the once over. Apart from feeling light (a worrying fact in itself) he looked ok...no parasites, no injuries, no sour crop!.
I gave him some wormer, and a broad acting antibiotic and offered him some extra titbits by hand which he took gently from me (not like him!) so I will have to see how he goes. He is three years old and he and Bunny (the hybrid runt with the deformed hip are the only survivors now of the little group of baby hens that were attacked by the riding stable Alsatian a few years ago now. Only 4 out of 8 escaped... I hope he pulls through

13 comments:

  1. If this was my bird i would give him olive oil. sometimes they get little sharp things (bits of plastic etc) and the oil helps. mine take it on dry oatmeal, turkeys will take a 1/4 cup of oil at a go, they love it. popped in for a peek, your man of the world blog is just the foreign escape i needed, thanks, peace John

    ReplyDelete
  2. ruth, will try the oil today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:36 am

    Thanks for popping by my blog. 5am! Geez that's early for your partner to have to catch a train.

    Sorry to read that Rogo is under the weather, I hope he perks up soon.

    Shirl x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to improvise last night and put plastic bottles with bottoms cut off over a few of my seedlings (seasoned gardner that i am) as home made cloche.

    I checked weather reports and next few nights are meant to be very cold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://xcweather.co.uk/forecast/trelawnyd

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh... he IS a bit droopy. Hope he feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, don't you just love them being quiet at that time of day? DH left at 4:45 this morning, trying to find a job. Very quiet.... then he slammed the door on his way out. Nice! Son got up a little later, also very quiet, but he takes really long showers and there is something about the sound of water running that makes me have to pee..... Agonizing to say the least. Jill was awake and had jumped on the bed and was vying for my attention and I didn't dare move.

    I hope that oil thing works for Rogo, you will have to keep us informed!

    How are those goose eggs coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  8. need to candle the goose eggs in a few days.......!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ps Rogo is a little unsteady on his feet at times...makes me think that his problem is more neurological than infective ...we will see

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope your Rooster was just having a off day :O)...

    Gardening... here in Texas either you plant early which puts you at risk of dealing with that last freeze but can put you a head of dealing with those 100 plus degree days ... its almost a not win situation tee hee ... I hate dragging out all the freeze protection, as you say lots of work...

    This year our winter was very harsh for here, and we are still having cooler than normal temps..I got a very late start on planting due to this... if we do a 360 and turn off normal anytime soon...meaning hot... garden will be in trouble...

    tee hee the joys or gardening :O)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just discovered your blog....full of interesting tidbits!
    Same problem here in Nova Scotia....as far as frost goes. Had a very, very early spring (usually we don't have a long one) which lasted for a few weeks. As a result we have a lot of buds ready to pop open......from lilacs (two months early) to magnolia....and there is a danger of frost. We could end up with no blossoms at all this year.
    The 'ups and downs' of gardening have kept us on our toes over the years.
    Looking forward to reading your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor guy. I've never heard of giving a chicken olive oil, but it is worth a try. I hope he's feeling better soon.
    Your garden looks like it is off to a good start.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to hear Rogo's down in the mouth. It's always particularly sad when the normally magnificent roosters go all droopy & sorry for themselves. I do hope he picks up soon. ((HUGS for you & the boy))Sadly I haven't been able to do any veg planting yet on account of the back gerden still being home to the mad bantams lol! Hope to get them moved soon so that my not-so-green fingers can get to work.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes