Duvet fights

My sister called up this evening in a gesture of support. Both of us watched with baited breath, as Hughie led his new small family band up into the Churchyard elm, and both the little blue male and the tiny black female ( I worked out she is a female as she has been calling the typical two syllable call of "buck wheat" all day.) scrambled up behind him with a great deal of difficulty.
The 13 hen houses have all been locked up tight, and extra door latches have been attached as well as extra heavy stones repositioned in front of poop doors and on roof openings.
Anyway, enough already........I have done all this to death on the blog.....Fingers crossed that everyone is ok by morning!


The cold weather has increased the surreptitious nocturnal events of "duvet jumping" in this household.....and the whole thing, as small scale habits often do, has gotten completely out of control!
Duvet Jumping is the term I give to the sport indulged by the dogs to illicit the most prestigious and comfortable part of the bed in the middle of the night. Now only George has true permission to sleep on the bed at night as he alone curls up well out of the way of legs and bums at the very end of the duvet. Yet over the past few months Meg, William and even Albert have now joined the merry throng, which has caused us many warm but uncomfortably "crushed" sleepless nights.
For Meg, it is purely a need to be close to me at all times. for William, it is a joyful game, which starts when Albert uses the cat litter tray in the middle of the night. Albert will open the kitchen door in order to reach his tray, thus giving William a 3 second window to wake up from his bed on the floor and negotiate the rapidly closing door in order to allow his entrance to the rest of the house.
He will then joyfully swallowdive onto the bed (making as much noise and fuss as possible) and will try to oust Meg from her position of power in beteen Chris and myself. Meg will cling to her piece of the duvet with the tenacity of a limpet, and will usually win this almost silent power struggle
Only Maddie, has any sense at all ( and I include Chris and I in this) as she always sleeps peacefully AND ALONE on the couch....
we must be mad

10 comments:

  1. Insanity! I tell you insanity! It is quite the same story on our little patch of the globe! Lessons need to be taught, and I am not sure they are due the animals!
    ~Randy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think lookin at the photo I know where the damp patch is coming from

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John,

    Have just caught up with the blog after a couple of nights off the internet. Sorry to hear about the loss of the birds, hope you have a peaceful night tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my ankle was broken and I was laid up on my back, I have such fond memories of the Irish Terriers sandwiching me between them as we all slept.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sleeping Beauties! It seems I always have one wedged between my legs that gives me a trapped feeling. Jesse has spent many a night on the sofa because he doesn't want to try to re arranged the snoring herd on his side of the bed. They tend not to wake easily unless it is dinner time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our bed only holds two adults and one Golden Reteiver and a Wheaten Terrier and the cat...But I have awakened in the middle of the night because we will have a 3rd Golden trying to get comfy. I do the only thing that I can to get any sleep and keep everyone from waking up and getting stirred up and that is to go in the other room, where a couple of the dogs will follow me so it can start all over again! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know if I mentioned this before, and as you know I will say it again anyway here goes - we leave a radio on near the chicken coop it works well to keep weasels and raccoons away. We have also hooked up a radio to a motion detector and that worked well too. Hope you wake to happiness today. Peace

    ReplyDelete
  8. John the radio/motion detector seems a great idea from rural Rose

    ReplyDelete
  9. Had to laugh about all the critters on the bed. We go through the same thing every night. One dog, two cats to start off with but come morning, well, it is a wonder I can even get out of bed without disturbing a cat or dog! Hope the fox or badger leaves your babies alone. That is a great idea about the radio. Looking forward to reading more on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our poor little bed barely holds the 2 of us, then add in the Welshie and the Airedale and we look like a bunch of odd sardines. AND, like yours, our dogs have the most choice spots! Loved the photo. Too cute. ;<)

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes