Bugger!

When I got home this morning after night shift, I was saddened to find out that the little dark grey poult had died overnight. I have been lucky I know, as out of the scores of chicks, ducklings and now the poults I have hatched in the incubator, I have only lost one hen chick! so I must remind myself not to be too downhearted
The remaining turkeys are bright and healthy, though and, after Chris and his dad popped to Bangor to see Chris' work place, I made sure I cleaned out the shed checking each turkey chick in turn for any signs of illness. All are robust and and bright eyed!
As I was sorting the shed out, the guinea fowl babies, started their usual hysterical banter ( they are much more highly strung than the 6 runners)....after two minutes I felt like a scruffy Tippi Hendren out of The Birds as I battered away airborne feathery bodies as all six chicks bounced off walls ceilings and floor ..... the noise was deafening! and in response to their distress calls, I was surprised to see a somewhat testosterone filled Hughie sitting on the shed roof calling somewhat tentatively to the babies.
The weather is grey and depressing today and as usual after nights I am on catch up.
As in most Welsh villages, Trelawnyd never looks at its best in wet weather. Below is one of the two existing Chapels still in use......The Friday afternoon showers doesn't quite do it justice..it is a day to sit infront of the fire...fat bloody chance

4 comments:

  1. yeah, we hatched 4 poults and eventually only 1 survived, I've got my fingers crossed for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry about your poult, poor little thing. I hope the others all make it ok. I'm also following your guinea fowl adventures avidly, as I'm considering some for my field in the spring, along with the quail and ducks and everything else I've got planned.....But first more hens.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. now would be a good time to put a little apple cider vinegar in the poulet's water, is this winter in Wales? peace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, me too, I'm sorry that your poult died. Hope the rest continue to stay healthy. The guinea fowl sound like a crazy bunch. Hope they settle down. From over here your village looks quaint and inviting. Hope you get to spend time relaxing in front of the fire.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes