Harvest festival and other bits

The Church bell has been ringing this afternoon to signify the Village school's harvest festival service. The primary school children in their smart blue uniforms lined up, two by two, on the Church path, before they entered with their teachers, and their moms and grans drifted in earlier as I herded Rogo, Hughie and a gaggle of hens back over the field boundary. I think it is lovely that there seems to be such a close relationship between school and Church.Using the Church almost as an extension to the school's main hall (I don't think they have one) makes such good sense to me.
I have spent five hours shifting what seems like tons of stone from the collapsed Church wall

and whenever I stopped for a diet coke break, the debris was picked over by a hoard of hens. The job is far, far bigger than I first thought, but once done it will (hopefully) look quite impressive. The hard work will be worth it, as I would have amassed mega Brownie points as far as the Church council is concerned. For them to repair the collapse professionally would cost thousands!
William has spent his usual hour and a half, gazing longingly at the new turkey chicks. I have left the shed door open in the sun to harden off the 18 day old poults just a little and he has practically wet himself with semi controlled excitement.
One turkey chick has been pecked in the eye by a member of the brood and looks a little unwell. Gently I have cleaned the eye with coddled water and put a little antibiotic into his water. Hopefully he will be ok.

Tonight I am meeting up with Hazel for a Pedro Almodóvar fest! we are going to see his latest film Los abrazos rotos (Broken Embraces)

2 comments:

  1. The village primary is a church school, with the vicar taking assembly once a week in the school hall. You have taken on a big job with the stone wall but the responsibility of it lies with the community council not the church council. Good luck with the re-build.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the wall was the church's responsibity!! hey ho! wrong again.....
    well I can't see either council forking out for repairs!

    nice to have an OBVIOUSLY local blog reader!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes