Summer

The first of the allotment sweet peas have just come into flower today, which is my marker that summer has in fact arrived.
We have had torrential rain showers today, and I have been soaked several times as I have moved the young hens from the rickety hen coop next to the buffs into the more substantial coop with the older hens' enclosure.
These hens are far too young to mix properly with the veterans so I have added an outdoor run to the coop door. In this way the older hens can see and interact with the teenagers but cannot bully or kill them (yeap it indeed does happen!)
Hopefully in a few weeks when I finally mix the flocks,a friendlier and more relaxed introduction will be made.
Each one of the small hens had to be checked over health wise and then treated for infestations with panomec, worm treatment I then added to their feed. Out of the 12 of them all looked fit and at least three look like cockerels.....perhaps my fellow henkeeper Bill from Llanasa can dispatch these three boys for me when they are sexed properly
This morning I have returned various cake tins and containers to their rightful owners and then delivered the raffle prizes that Ann had kindly donated yesterday. I dropped a thank you card in to Auntie Glad then came home to complete indoor chores,as the bad weather has closed in for the duration

2 comments:

  1. I am builidng a new coop. I need to split hens due to a bit of over crowding. But I have growing bitties that will need a coop, too. It will take some work, I guess. Good luck with yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad your open day was such a roaring success. Well done you! I think you're doing exactly the right thing with your young chooks - it certainly worked with my youngsters. By the way 3-4 of them are def looking like cockerels now, but I'm going to keep them I think so long as they don't start fighting - I've got understanding neighbours!

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes