Allotment total,Food parcels, Maureen & Patty and a funeral

This morning I banked the money from the allotment open
The final totals were:

Gate £246.00 (which means at least 246 people attended!)
Raffle £53.00
Cake & produce sale £58.00

Therefore we had a grand total of £ 357.00 which wasn't too bad given the facts that we actually dropped the admission fee from last years £1.50 to a credit crunching £1.00 and that owing to another event the Prestatyn horticultural Society members did not attend. I guess the sad news from the village last week also meant that numbers were down a little, but I still think that £357.00 quid was a reasonable amount to donate.
I dropped in a cheque to the Parish Secretary and then came home to move the poultry fencing so that the grave diggers could access the graveyard for the first of this weeks village funerals. Joanne, one of the women from the village, had tied a parcel of pasta and bananas onto my gate (the pasta a gift to the still occasionally wan Susan, and the bananas for the pigs)
Apparently her teenage son had questioned his mother about these food parcels and had commented just how inappropriate they were! After some questioning, Joanne realised that he thought she was leaving the food for me and not for one of my hens!!! Oh the shame! I can't believe that her son thought that we needed food charity!
I picked up the last two girls from Helen this morning. A sweet natured red rock and a delicate looking araucana with a pompom head ! (centre) Araucana hens incidentally lay delicate blue eggs!
The new girls will be called Maureen and Patty.

I didn't attend the funeral today, but made a point of standing within view when the funeral group entered the Churchyard. I made sure that Boris was standing behind me as he has a habit of challenging anyone at the gravesides with noisy calls. Subsequently he was quiet and well behaved. I am glad I could show my respects in this simple way, and old Mrs Jones (it was her daughter's funeral) waved at me as she passed. I cannot imagine just how difficult it must be burying your own child...I respect her resilience and fortitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes