The lost art of writing

Taking the dogs to the groomer cuts into the day by at least 2 hours or so!
I am typing this blog at the shop as I wait for Maddie and George to be finished off! (I am using the owners laptop as a concession for waiting for so long- which was a kind thought)
I received another Birthday card today, so all in all I have been given 21, and I thought I would write a blog about how much I appreciate the thought behind the simple action of picking out,writing and actually posting a greetings card.
In this age of text, phone and email, people seldom write letters anymore, however they do still write greeting cards to mark special events, and the effort in the ritual of card sending, to me underlines the bonds of affection,loyalty,love and most importantly respect.
My friend Nia in Australia, even after emigrating has never missed sending me a card, Nuala, with all her family woes of recent years likewise has never forgotten, and best mate Mike (who is famous for his lack of contact)has even made an effort to put ballpoint to envelope!
Every year I get a card from another friend I have not seen in over 20 years, and more recently my mother in law always carefully inscribes her card with a sweet neat message which is always welcome. Friends and family seem to enjoy picking the moist appropriate cards possible, so the 2009 themes include, dogs,hens,gardening,talking vegetables, the Royal family and an old lady kicking her leg above her head......yes all so appropriate me thinks
To me, cards simply reflect the fact that someone is thinking well of you.
...and that is important

1 comment:

  1. I am picking this old post to ask if you could please email me your address?
    Barring that, I borrowed what you posted today, and added your... zip code? or whatever you call it, that I gleaned from another post.
    Do I put that before or after Trelawnyd?
    And do I use just Wales, or North Wales and United Kingdom, since if I send you mail it will come from the United States?

    Merry Christmas to you all, John. You and Chris and all the rest of your furry feathery family. ♥

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes