Dawn French' funny girls

It was late this evening when I caught a documentary by Dawn French which centred about what makes female comics....well funny.
Perhaps 50 comics were interviewed and the one that made we laugh until I cried was the all too brief interview with Helen Lederer.
Helen recalled a story when she and a group of her 10 year old schoolgirl friends decided to "hate" the golfers who used the golf course behind her house. (why?)
To register their displeasure at the sporting activity, the girls would stand together and sing aggressively "Nellie the elephant packed her trunk and said goodbye to the circus!!"
It does not sound funny as I write it, but I literally howled till I cried at her delivery!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yup, I think it lost something in the translation.hehe. When I was younger (by 20 years) I used to go to the comedy clubs in Phoenix at least once a week. It was a dismal time in my life, and the humor kept me from going bonkers. A good laugh is therapeutic don't you think?

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes