The Young Victoria

Unfortunately I missed a good 20 minutes of the middle of The Young Victoria as a woman in the next row of the cinema suffered a prolonged epileptic fit. There was little I could do except reassure the lady's teenage carer (and a more nervous cinema manager) and ask for an ambulance to be called, but I did miss Queen Victoria's wedding to Prince Albert!
Britain does the costume drama quite wonderfully, and although The Young Victoria is somewhat tentative and pedestrian in its telling of the Queen's early years, the visual details in this sumptuous movie are beautifully recreated.
I also loved the chemistry between Victoria (a cracking performance by Emily Blunt) and the dashing Albert ( a very, VERY sexy Rupert Friend) but the film I think opted for a Jane Austen-style romantic romp (complete with Princess being trapped in the tower) rather than a more realistic biopic of a tough and potentially manipulated young women.
Generally I gave the film a good 7.5 out of ten

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes