Little acts of kindness

This morning there was two plastic bags attached to the kitchen gate. One had a week's collective vegetable peelings; in the other was a small bunch of over ripe bananas. Both "gifts" were left by separate neighbours as treats for the pigs, and were two of many that have been deposited over the past few weeks. At breakfast time, Della, another neighbour rang, She works in a local supermarket and had arranged for a ton of out of date bread to be kept for me for the birds and pigs. It was very thoughtful of her and is one of many such kindnesses I have received since living in the village.
Now I am not getting all saccharine about country hospitality here, but I will mention that if there is one lesson I have learnt during our time in Trelawyd, it would be the fact that being thoughtful and going that extra mile for people does reap benefits in return.
Being sociable and friendly with people has meant them feeling included with the field and menagerie news. In turn I have received extra food for the animals,hutches for the broody hens and offers of practical help when we are away. Delivering egg orders and dropping off the odd freebies has built bridges with some of the older people in the village and the acknowledgement of my limitations when it comes to fence building and practical farm work such as hedge cutting has encouraged a rather gruff, pragmatic help from the farming fraternity.
I guess the whole thing underlines the slightly old fashioned meaning of the word community!

Anyhow, Chris is away in Cardiff overnight, so I have indulged myself with a bout of OCD cleaning. With a tidy cottage, a sleepy, exhausted pile of dogs on the hearth rug and with a glass of Pinot Grigio in front of "Primeval" I can now relax with my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes