Being Precious

I know I can be rather "precious" about my animal charges, but sometimes my paranoia about their welfare is perfectly justified. Today is a case in point. I got up early to walk the dogs and sorted all the birds before I went to a hospital study day. It was a mandatory training day that was to last for around 7 hours, so I thought the field animals would be ok with me being out of sight for a while (The dogs had been taken to Carole's house)
How wrong I was.
When I arrived home at 3.30, Rogo, Stanley and the young male cockerel in the nursery run were free on the field. It was obvious from the start that they had been fighting. Rogo looked unscathed, but Stanley and the buff male were extremely bloody and battered. I caught both and cleaned them up in one of the water butts, Stanley looked the worst off, as his comb and wattle had been badly pecked but he remained feisty and pumped up, and obviously ready for round two!........Even though all of the cockerels have been physically separated, when they are left totally unsupervised, they always seem to find ways of getting at each other. The quicker the young buff is relocated the better.(below pic)
Anyhow, after sorting out these prizefighters, I did a quick head count of the other animals. The pigs were fine, though had upturned all of their water feeders, and the hens and turkeys looked ok. When I checked the ducks I found Connie (below) tangled in the fence netting. She was quiet and exhausted but looked ok after a pet, drink and feed.
I turn my back for a short shift period and all hell seems to let loose,

1 comment:

  1. Sorry John but that is the law with farm animals, once you leave something will get out, get hurt, get into a fight or some stray dog will come in and cause trouble. I was lucky that none of my roosters took it to that bloody level.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes