Una

You could feel waves of raw emotion and respect at Una's funeral, which was held in a very cold catholic church in Waterloo,Liverpool this afternoon. Literally hundreds of people were crammed into every corner and down both side aisles of the church, so I was glad I managed to find my way there promptly.
Chris was interviewing for staff today, so was unable to go with me, so I was lucky I caught sight of Rachel and Paula (two old friends of Nuala's) and teamed up with them.
Nuala's elder sister Una was head teacher of an inner city primary school and was obviously adored and respected by all she came into contact with both in her professional and personal life. Five priests took the long service (another sign of how important Una was to her community),and incredibly moving tributes were made by Una's husband John and the elderly family priest Father Sean.
I cannot remember the last time I actually shed a tear at a funeral, even at my own Parents and grandparents' funerals I remember being somewhat stoic emotionally, which I guess is a reflection of being safely in control. Today, the sadness of an all too premature death coupled with a beautifully measured set of tributes and an incredible choir proved too much and the tears flowed.
The family had planned a private ceremony at the crematorium following the mass, and with the animals uncared for at home I couldn't really wait until the funeral "tea" to touch base with Nu.
It took half an hour just to get out of the church, the crowd was so dense, but as fate would have it, as I walked through the doors Nuala was standing right outside,looking rather tired and drawn. Before she left with the family, I was able to give her a long,long hug of support.. It was the only thing I could do to help her.
It was such a sad, sad day

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes