Albert saga continues and a masterclass in humour

William and Meg (above) have had an exhausting day getting acquainted with the poultry on the field.I have been taking the dogs over more regularly in an effort to get them used to the birds so that excited attacks may be brought to a more acceptable level. The Scotties now, can and do walk alongside the hens without battering an eye but the welsh cannot and probably will never be let off on their own.Both Meg and William literally shake with anticipation when any of the birds come into view and would I am sure happily maul anything that came within reach. Funny that the Scotties after one telling off, now will potter around next to the hysterical ducks without wanting to give chase.
Albert has still not been "discharged" from the vets. Although he is eating and drinking well, the vet nurse is still reporting "excitable and erratic behaviour" from him as he continues his efforts to get rid of his plaster cast.
Hopefully he will be able to come home tomorrow, mind you I have been given strict instructions he is to be nursed in a cage............the vet fears he will gallop around on his three good legs smashing into every wall if left free.......sigh......!
I cannot remember when I watched something on tv that made me literally cry with laughter. Last night I watched Mark Lawson's interview with the actress Maureen Lipman on BBC4 and amid an intelligent and measured discussion, the thoughtful Lipman told a story of how the obsessive film director Roman Polanski prepared his actors for a scene in the holocaust movie The Pianist (2002) Wanting actor Frank Finlay to look a little more shopworn, she wryly recounted how the director used sandpaper and (of all things) a large German sausage to give Finlay's face the "right" look. Lipman's comic timing even when she is telling a dinner party anecdote is right on the money, and I laughed till I almost wet myself.......cracking and thoroughly enjoyable tv
I caught up with Nu this afternoon on the phone. She seems numb and ever so flat after Una's death. The only thing that seems to be helping her is therapeutic trips to the cinema. She gave The Reader (2008) a 9/10.......I didn't ask her if she had seen Winslett's painful and dotty acceptance speech at the golden globe awards.
Tomorrow I hope to meet up with Hazel (it's been an age)....I think we are off to see
Il y a longtemps que je t'aime (2008) (I have loved you so long) at theatre Clwyd..... it will be nice to get back to normal

1 comment:

  1. Don't Meg & Wm. look just like little angles?I know that Welsh Terrier temperment a bit now,so can just picture the 2 of them shaking in anticipation of a good bird romp.I should be ashamed,but I used to allow Baby Rocket Dog to chase the wild turkey off our property.I'm not talking about 10 or 15, but 60-80 birds...you can imagine the mess they'd leave.They now steer clear of us.After typing this,I am ashamed.:>(

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes