Sad Memories and Saturday pottering


I was reading a friend's blog today with a tinge of sadness, as they associate their former home city (Sheffield) with a host of rather sad and negative memories of relationships gone sour.
I am incredibly lucky as I associate only good memories with the former steel city, I lived there between 1989 and 2005, and during that time experienced some bad times (relationship break ups/a lost friendship/lack of money/some minor health problems) but the overwhelming relationship I had with Sheffield has been positive.
I had 16 years in a job I enjoyed and was good at with people that I genenerally respected and that respected me, I bought two houses and profited from them. I "came out" in Sheffield , felt supported in that decision and had my first serious relationships. I met many friends in and around the city and still enjoy those friendships to this day. I was treated to theatre and cinema in excess to anything I could have afforded myself (thanks to Jonney and the Sheffield Star) and through the arthouse cinema's (The anvil and Showrooms) developed my love and passion for films.
I reconciled my shakey relationship with my father at my tiny house in Walkley and developed my own urban family bonds with Christmas meals in Woodseats.I have danced with Mike and Bev on the roof of Weston Park hospital,had my first date with Chris in All Bar One and met friends too numerous to mention outside Cole Brothers. Joan,Betty, Finlay and Maddie came to us in Sheffield, Nuala and I were surrogate partners around Broomhill and Jane and I were partners in and around Crooks!
Yes I am lucky,Sheffield holds only good memories for me.!

Today we have pottered. The farmer has cleared most of the rubbish from my field and in the process has made me another vegetable patch I was not expecting. Chris has enjoyed planting miniture violas, and watching the chickens and tonight is fish pie with a dvd.
working nights tomorrow







No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes