A male world and the eternal flame of love

I don't do well in all male environments; they make me feel uncomfortable and ill at ease.Male psychiatric wards (staffed by an all male staff) and bastions of testosterone -the quick-fit garage, are just two examples, so this morning's job of changing the tyres on the car was a bit of a chore. Mind you driving over the hill to get the work done was a laugh this morning as I was reminded of a couple of former friends after listening to the radio.
The Bangles and Eternal Flame was playing on Coast Radio and suddenly I remembered being at this rather "intense" couple's house on the outskirts of Sheffield in the early 1990s. It was an early evening "do", and I was chattiing with a few friends in the kitchen (probably huddled over the nibbles and white wine) The hosts-This unnamed couple were always very demonstrative with each other, and their intensity sometimes became a little nauseating at times. In the corner of the room was a candle in a fancy bowl and we are all informed that this was an eternal flame that signified their love for one another!. I thought the group was supportive and polite when we all admired the "altar", but inside I had to stifle a hearty laugh.
A bit later in the evening I did laugh....long and loud when another friend ( a down-to-earth Yorkshire girl) took me to one side and whispered guiltily
"I am going straight to hell.......I have just lit me fag on the flame of love and I have just put it out!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes