Gay, 45 and never seen Now Voyager


I must say that I am a disgrace to gay men all over the world as I have never seen the Bette Davis "clasic" Now, Voyager (1942). Now Mildred Pierce with a thin lipped/shoulderpadded martyr Joan Crawford, I have seen ad nauseum and All About Eve is a monthly treat in our house, but I have never actually sat down and watched Paul Henreid famously light two ciggies to the strains of Max Steiner's adapted score.
Well last night I did just that! Dogs walked early, Chris in bed, individual 250ml bottle of Chardonney and I really enjoyed 117 minutes of pure soap opera rubbish. I mean! the plot would have looked slightly out of place in the -no basis in reality- Neighbours.
Now, Voyager tells the story of a middle-aged spinster who, repressed by the domination of her mother, winds up in a sanatorium, where her self-confidence is boosted by an understanding psychiatrist. After a brief love affair during a cruise, she determines to help her lover's equally depressed daughter
Yeap, pure rubbish! Bette Davis is magnificent as the mouse-like spinster who is transformed into the mink wearing Boston Modern lady-about-town. She steals every scene she is in, and that must have been difficult as Gladys Cooper ( the bitch queen of all bitchy mothers) and Mary Wickes.(the wisecracking nurse) almost grab the acting honours.
In 2007 the United States Film Registry selected the film for preservation as it is "culturally, historically, and aesthetically significant".and just for the famous line "Oh, Jerry, don't let's ask for the moon, we have the stars." I am glad they have done so

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'm glad you finally caught up with 'Now Voyager'!
    Melodramatic it may be but I love it.
    Hoped you noticed I have the 'stars' quote on my blog!

    Best wishes
    Blue

    PS - you asked about my favourite Archer character - a tough. Lilian has to be one as I feel as though I grew up with her & the same goes for Lizzie. Of the guys Brian, because he takes risks & I have an personal under standing of married men that have affairs having been a long term mistress of one.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes