A Movie Phantom


Now we did enjoy The Phantom of the Opera when we saw it a few years ago in New York. It is all spectacle,moody lighting and average songs, but it was dramatic, showey and thoroughly enjoyable in a fairly forgettable sort of way. Joel Schumacher's movie version (Channel 4 this evening) is an interesting interpretation that only works on a few levels for me.

I did enjoy the main set piece of the crashing of the giant chandelier onto the stage which was truly spectacular, and I did think that Gerard Butler made a sexy and strangely Scottish Phantom! but Christine (a rather vapid Emmy Rossum) was sadly lacking in any depth as was Patrick Wilson as pretty boy hero Raoul. The most effective acting came from the supporting cast which was surprising!
Miranda Richardson was great as Madam Giry,Minnie Driver hammed it up with gusto as Carlotta and I hate to say this but tit laden Jennifer Ellison was very effective as the virtuous Meg Giry!
However in general the whole film left me rather bored, and near the end I was praying that Butler would hurl the psychotic Rossum off the Paris Opera House roof!
I will stick to the stage version in future

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes