aaaarrrrrhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LBC reported today that pregnant women in England will be entitled to a £200 lump sum to spend on healthy food, in government plans to be announced on Wednesday.
From April 2009, expectant mums could have the benefit paid in the 29th week of their pregnancy.
The grant is intended to reduce infant mortality and close the health inequality gap between richer and poorer families.
Women must have a health and welfare session with a professional( who????) to claim the money - but they don't have to prove the money is actually spent on nutritious food.


I am so angry!!Yet again we ( childless singles and childless couples) have to pay for other people's beer and cig money! in the name of supporting baby makers! Perhaps the millions needed to support this vote spinning scheme would be better used educating people about when to have (or more importantly NOT have) children.

We bought dogs as pets because we COULD AFFORD TO DO SO! If we could not afford to do so, we wouldn't have done it.

Children are obviously a bigger, more important and all consuming life long commitment, but I am serious about thinking the same rule should apply! If you cannot afford to raise a child well simply... DON'T HAVE ONE!!

I know, I know circumstances can and do change with people and genuine hardships should always be supported, but to be honest how many people have a child without the depth of thought needed to prepare and deal with one? Bloody loads!!!!!!!!! I think my preparation for the runner ducks was more in depth than many prospective parents!....................


I know I am a grumpy old git

4 comments:

  1. Hello John, long time reader first time contributer! Yes you are a grumpy old git. You are right that many people enter into parenthood with little or no idea, or concern, with regard to the responsibilities and consequences that come with bringing a child into this world, and we have had many conversations about my own struggles. However there are those that do and they may be disadvantaged financially due to many genuine reasons. If we should start means testing as a basis for bringing children into the world then we run the very real possibility of creating a true underclass and would deny many good and decent people the opportunity to experience the joys (and stresses!) of parenthood. Having enough money to feed a child does not make you a good parent. Perhaps the money should be given in the form of vouchers which can only be spent on specific foods to prevent their misuse? Oh I don't know I must be in a 'glass is half full' mood lately! And with that I am off to clean the bathroom (I just thought I would put that in to be in keeping with the spirit of your blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. some good points michael.I agree that having money just does not make you a good parent,and visa versa of course, but I honestly think that this 200 quid is a vote winer plain and simple, and it stinks

    I am generally angry at the inequalities of this money and certainly NOT angry at parents who have kids in good faith, (although my comments directed at people who give little or no thought to having a child DO stand.) I agree some couples and single women do obviously need financial help when raising a child ( I did comment on that) but my main gripe is that this money is unfairly directed at pregnant women. What happens to the elderly? or the single poor? don't they deserve help as well? Perhaps it is sour grapes as being a professional (no kidss) with mortgage, I always feel that when there are any breaks in the system, we are always the last to be given them.

    There is no simple answer to all this.I do think the voucher system you mention would be a good idea! but please include pensioners in this as well!

    I just would like some balance!
    A rant is needed occassionally! the blog is too fluffy without one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you make some valid points. It is a complicated issue. At the end of the day, vote winner or no, if properly applied it is there to help the child who would be the innocent in the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. tee hee,
    all we need now is a commet from Bev and it would be like the old arguing days in Station Road Darnall!!

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes