The Host and being shortlisted!

The Host (Gwoemul (2006) is the Korean monster movie that I missed when it originally came
out at the cinema last year. Caught it on dvd
this evening and I must admit that I enjoyed how it turned the genre totally on its head but whilst obviously paying homage to every prehistoric,city munching creature flick ever made.

This film has everything! a truly impressive monster , worthy CGI, and wonderful cinematography, but I was taken more by the narrative which centred around a dysfunctional Korean family and their efforts to save the youngest daughter Hyun-seo -(played by Ko Ah-seong) from the monster's lair. The plot cleverly saw sawed between slapstick,pathos and horror and even had a sideswipe at the US international policy and the "uncaring" South Korean government... a good 9/10
On a lighter note, got a letter today from the BBC, yep I have been shortlisted for the Weakest Link ! fantastic...watch this space

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes