Country Man


I am fortunate that brother-in-law Ned was a gamekeeper in a former life so he was on hand to supervise the erecting of the new electric Hen run. The fencing looks fairly harmless but I know different after being playfully conned by Ned and grasping the netting to "test" whether it was live or not!

I am grateful for his help as not only has he shown me how to construct a safe run, but he has taught me to clip the girls' wings so they don't fly over the perimeter fence.

He also did a neat trick on Robina to show me how to subdue a hen. He deftly tucked her head under her wing, grabbed her firmly on either side and rotated her quickly four or five times. He then placed her on the ground where she lay completely motionless for minutes! It was the most bizarre thing to watch. Ned also showed me the tracks where Badgers cross the field and told me some particularly disgusting ways of getting rid of foxes ( you have to collect human wee and dribble it around the fencing!)


We were very impressed with the new solar panel (right), and in some small self congratulatory way feel a little more eco friendly.
I have arranged to pick up my new 12 hens next week which are going to be a mixture of different breeds and colours

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes