George's first snow,Hannibal , The silence of the snow


Well there goes my primulas!, the snow that has been warned for much of mid and South Wales has hit Trelawnyd. At 6am this morning it was so bloody freezing I lit the fire and set the hens up with warm mash. They did the right thing as it is 9.30 am now and still they have not ventured out yet. At least George enjoyed himself



PS
The problem with filming a novel is that there is just too much to cram into the narrative ( or more importantly too much to cut out of it) , and cutting the novel to pieces is exactly what has occurred in Hannibal Rising (2007). I am surprised as Thomas Harris ( who wrote the trilogy of Lecter books) is responsible for the movie screenplay. I enjoyed the book, and I think its strength lay in the subtle interplay between Lecter and his Japanese step mother which mirrored the electric banter between Clarice Starling and the aged Lecter in The Silence of the Lambs. The film has opted for the more familiar horror route rather than dwelling on relationship interplay and it is much the poorer for it. The choice of Gaspard Ulliel was also a mistake as he has no depth in his performance as the severely abused Lecter. I suspect even at twenty Anthony Hopkins would have been electric as he was in the original, but Ulliel just does not cut the mustard. Li Gong would have had something to get her teeth into if the director adhered to the novel, but as it is, she just stands around looking beautiful. Sheffield's Dominic West seems to come out best as the troubled Inspector Popil.


Have arranged to pick up the "spazmobile" on Saturday which give me tomorrow to clean out the polo (a big job and no mistake) I think the window workmen are comming then to measure up to replace the cottage bathroom and back bedroom windows. Hope the snow goes before then! mind you I love the stillness snow brings to an area, especially at night! when I was walking last night several owls flew in circles around the cottage and it was so silent because of the snow you could actually hear their wings beating! class

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes