Pass it on boys....


I think I am the last person to see the theatrical version of Alan Bennett's The History Boys , and I was impressed with most of what I saw. The story is set in 1980s Sheffield and centres upon a bunch of bright, funny sixth-formboys in pusuit of sex, sport and a place at university.Also in the story is a maverick English teacher at odds with the young and shrewd supply teacher, and a headmaster obsessed with results . The actors who play the boys, steal the show, as they often have the best one liners, and the pathos that goes with unrequited love. The actor who plays Posner, "I am homosexual,Jewish and I am from Sheffield...Boy am..I fucked!!!!" (First on left) was excellent in a difficult and painfull role . I wondered if the character was based on Bennett's own experiences and life? ....out of all the characters Posner seemed the most unhappy, troubled and unfullfilled. I must admit his rendition of Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered by Rodgers and Hart, is gut wrenching..

"I'll sing to him
Each spring to him
And worship the trousers that cling to him
Bewitched, bothered and bewildered am I"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes