Bishop's Wood old friends and finally soil!

Got my computer printer from LLandudno, and then had a clean bill of health from the dentist ( a very surreal experience- as receptionist, dental nurse and dentist were all excitedly and maniacally happy and welcoming!!!) I had the notion that the practice had just opened and I was their first customer.
Postscript...someone at work told me that the dentist is, shall we say, a bit odd!! (aka manic)nuff said
Took the dogs on the Bishop's Wood round robin and even at 2pm the overhanging trees made it feel more like dusk!



When I was walking in Bishop's Wood, thought about old friends that I made in Prestatyn when I was growing up , and where they were now! In small towns, friends that share a common interest and a modicum of ambition, often move away when University and work calls them , and the friends I made (embarrassingly through CB radio), were no different. I thought it ironic that the only one I really keep in touch with, is the one that moved furthest away! Nia was fourteen when we met, and as the little sister of my then best mate, Rol, she was a bouncy, confident little dynamo..... Now married, heavily pregnant and living in Sydney ,Australia,she remains dynamic and still very much a good friend.


Below is some information on Ian Parry , another friend from 1980's Prestatyn set! Who sadly died in 1989- I was delighted to find this piece about him on google!! oh the power of the internet .





IRINA WERNING - winner of the Ian Parry Scholarship 2006
IAN PARRY SCHOLARSHIP /2006/
Ian Parry was a talented photojournalist at the beginning of his career, when he was tragically killed whilst on assignment for The Sunday Times in December 1989. As the youngest of four children from Prestatyn, north Wales, Ian was determined from an early age to pursue a serious career in newspaper photojournalism and joined the local Rhyl Journal as a trainee at the age of 16. After studying on Sheffield's NCTJ course, he moved to London to secure his dream and joined The Sunday Times as a staff photographer. On one of his first major assignment to cover the war in Romania, a job he was determined to undertake, the plane carrying him home crashed just after take off in bad weather. "He was one of the finest young photographers to have entered Fleet Street in recent years. He had a great deal of personal discipline, which he combined with flair, imagination and tremendous compassion", said Aidan Sullivan, who set up The Ian Parry Scholarship in his memory. Tributes to Ian have come from every picture editor he worked for. "He could turn his hand to anything and had great potential. We often sent him on long, difficult jobs and there was never a squeak of complaint," said Michael Young of The Times.

I suspect and would have hoped that Ian and I would have kept in touch , but I do wonder just how famous he would have become, and just how hard would his job would evolve into. Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Rwanda, Bosnia, Ian would have been in every one of the World's hot spots and you just can't help thinking what would have become of him?

oh by the way.......my soil has finally arrived!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes