Wynyard Road,


I found this picture of our house in Sheffield, when scrolling around looking for pictures for the last blog entry. This was the dining room, and Chris and I worked hard together making it my favourite room the house.

The house was an ordinary little terrace in Hillsborough, but as most second homes, it was a house I wanted other than one I could just afford.

My Friend Micky told me of a book in Sheffield Library that could inform you who lived in your house throughout the years and what they did for living!( I forget the title of the book now). One afternoon I spent an interesting few hours researching the owners of 59 Wynyard and found that two sisters had spent most of the twenties, thirties and forties there. (One surviving sister lived there until well into the 1960s) Their names were Florence and Alice , and they were described as being seamstresses. I found that fact rather sweet.

Wynyard Road always had a lovely feel to it. It was a happy house, and holds some nice memories for me .When I go back to Sheffield and stay next door with friends John & Bev, the house does look a little unkempt and rather unloved, which is sad. But interestingly enough I have never got introspective or depressed about that, which surprises me as I do enjoy an emotional romp occassionally. I guess with Chris and the animals, and some treasured posessions, my life and loves moved with me to Wales!

Note: You can just make out Betty by the couch. She survived a month or so after we moved to Wales, she died peacefully and is buried at Cefn-y-Gwyrch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes