With Feathers



 I posted earlier, an old post, then pulled it        
It was lazy blogging. 
I haven’t much to share today.
It’s been my counselling day and I’ve been busy 
Busy concentrating,
Busy thinking,
Busy trying to join the dots 
And busy being kind and present for people who need to be heard.

With my head full, I went to an inaugural book club meeting after work 
And walking into a new environment with new people remains a really difficult event for me
I’m almost paralysed with shyness

My book of choice is Max Porter’s Grief is a thing with feathers and I was given a timed ( yes timed) 5 minutes in the spotlight , to give my thoughts on why it should be the first book of choice to be studied . 
I was a little pleased that out of eight books mine was chosen. 
I looked every part the scholar as I had my jaunty chic Eleanor Counselling Scarf on 
The host ( a well dressed, rather camp, ex English teacher who made his own delicious tapas nibbles for half time, complete with a Penedès Rosé served in delicate antique tulip shaped wine glasses, was a sweet if slightly pedantic organiser, and I felt drawn to the warmth of a thirty something vet who admitted she’d never been to a book club before and hadn’t had a proper day off for a month . 
I also caught her wincing at the taste of the wine and I winked at her in conspiratorial fun 

Theatre tomorrow night, 

On the way home I bought two scotch eggs from the coop 

Breakfast bliss

See I do have things to say when I think about it 


 

45 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:54 pm

    That was a squire grey classic
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never doubted you have worthy things to say and am glad you joined the book club - and that your book was chosen!
    Today I mixed up tuna salad using my mother's recipe and will be enjoying that for a few days to come.
    Enjoy your Scotch eggs!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, you could write out a shopping list and we'd find it interesting, because you have such a way with words. Good for you overcoming your shyness and putting yourself out there. Enjoy the theatre and the Scotch eggs. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed the post you pulled. Things I didn't know about you.
    I empathise w your fear of going into a strange scene/ new people--how frightening that is! But you did and it really sounds like an interesting group to get to know. Good for you. [too bad the wine was bad but the host tried!]. Stay positive, don't be judgy. Enjoy the theater. [how's the penny jar for Bluebell 2 coming along? I keep meaning to ask.]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked up the wine and it sounds quite good, I marked it for my next wine shop trip. Not cheap at all here tho.

      Delete
    2. He said it was expensive lol

      Delete
    3. I have no money saved 😒

      Delete
  5. Anonymous10:54 pm

    I love what Happy Hooker said! Yes...always something to say and it always has content. loved the post you took down..but so it is...and I *learned*? a bit more about you. I have never had (and may never) had a Scotch egg in my life....but they look darned good to me!
    Susan M/ Calif.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:17 pm

    So identify with social anxiety with a new group! You sound very brave to me! Sometimes teachers get so used to running a classroom that they tend to take over in a group setting; maybe the host will lighten up as time goes on. Do hosting duties circulate or....?

    Hope the eggs were delicious!

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tentatively raising my hand here as part of the 'Painfully shy Club'.... But you are so brave to face it and do it anyway... I have my brave moments too... One thing i have noticed... i rarely regret it once i've done the brave thing... If you don't like how you are once in awhile you get brave enough to try and change it... Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just to push myself my friend , I just have to

      Delete
  8. Five minutes only and it was timed? Did the orchestra start playing, like at the Oscars?

    ReplyDelete
  9. MarisAna5:39 am

    I have days often when it feels as if there is nothing interesting but it's always pleasant to check in with a friend.

    Is that book title from an Emily Dickinson poem? Such a strong image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m not sure, it’s a metaphor obviously for grief

      Delete
  10. I’ve never belonged to a book club. Reading is very personal to me and, although I enjoy sharing and hearing about recommended books, I don’t much enjoy evaluating and discussing them with others. I do wish I could enjoy that. Your secret exchange with the vet charmed me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now I really like the sound of that book club, and they do sound like your kind of people. I find it's always best to go to the 'first' of something if you are shy, everyone is there for the first time, so most of you will be on an equal footing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post, an evening out like that can really help release the stress of the day. Dive deep into the book and tell us all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been part of a book club. It sounds daunting to me.
    But the book you offered does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would be so proud of myself if I had joined that book club.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you enjoy the book club. Sounds like you are off to a good start with it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous2:51 pm

    Very nicely presented and they chose your book!
    The book club sounds very gentile with spirits and appetizers for all.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous3:12 pm

    I read quite a lot. Anything. But I have never been a member of a book club. My daughter-in-law was a member of one for a couple of years and that also broadened my reading. I enjoyed your post enormously. Susan (mother of 3 sons (1 gay).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous3:21 pm

    PS. My first dog as an adult was a welsh terrier. Cymro.He was very possessive. Didn’t like me concentrating on the tv and so once when I was concentrating on a tv drama, he started nibbling my skirt. Bad boy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Traveller8:55 pm

    Nice post. I am a member of a couple of bookclubs, which i sometimes find challenging. I like the 5 minute pitch approach to choosing a book. THe only Max Porter I have read is Lanny which wasn’t to my taste.

    Grief is a Thing with Feathers is such an interesting title. I have downloaded it and will read. I do hope you will report back on what your bookclub thought, and we can all chip in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m interested in your thoughts , it’s actually a text book

      Delete
  20. Anonymous11:11 pm

    I just finished reading "Grief is a Thing with Feathers". I really need to mull over how I feel about it. It was a quite different and interesting read. Kaye

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous11:13 pm

    And it's a text book? For what class? Counseling?? Kaye

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous3:22 pm

    Light entertainment in the form of well done farce is hysterically funny and laughter is always good for the heart and soul. I'm glad you were there!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have not read that book. I hope you give us a summary of your book club reviews so I can decide if I want to take it on!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Excuse me, mister. Anybody who blogs every day is no "lazy blogger." Pfft. No matter what you've chosen to share, you're still putting in some time. -Signed, the Laziest Blogger Ever

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes