Phone Home


You don’t know what you don’t know ! 
And I and know very little about my mobile phone. 
Today I joined 8 others from the village in a four week course of “ Getting the best out of your mobile phone” 
The simple realisation of I know fuck all about my came as a little bit of a shock, but that little Samsung bundle of joy has been an anathema to me since the day I bought it .
And I’m not the only one. 
The eight of us were all pretty clueless, eight including Pippa from the Rectory, Farmer Gwyn and Anne H. From the friendship group, dim wits all…..
“ I used to be able to work an intensive care ventilator but this phone has me beaten” I moaned during the introductions
And I meant it

21 comments:

  1. You and me, both! I hate the bloody thing, but feel I have to at least try. Trouble is, with my eyesight, I can't read the screen, and with my hearing loss/hearing aids, if I want to listen to anything, I have to have it on speaker, so the world and his wife can hear everything. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:16 pm

      You can make the font bigger and dark mode is harder to read than regular White w black text lizzy d

      Delete
    2. Oh, I've done all that, lizzy. I think the problem is - I hate technology! 🤣

      Delete
  2. You're not alone John, the majority of us barely scratch the surface of the capabilities of our phones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do scoot over as I'll have a seat on the bench with you, Pippa, Farmer Gwyn, Anne H. and the other 4! Please pass on what you learn as I use my phone to make calls, text, and check the weather. Is that pitiful or what? Suits me but know I'm missing a lot - and none of what I'm missing is social media!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear heavens, my little Samsung will hopefully last for the rest of my life because quite honestly, nothing is worse than learning new technology. My phone probably does a great deal more than I know, but I have been ignorantly stumbling along just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're not dimwits. "Smartphone" aren't user-friendly to start with. I far prefer the old landlines that you could just pick up to answer or to dial, without first having to unlock, then find and click on a phone app, then click on your contacts icon, then click on somone's number, then click on ... and on ... and on ... so sometimes these so-called improvements are more of a pain in the ass than very damn smart. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:35 pm

      Well said!

      Delete
    2. I still miss phone books. Sigh!

      Hugs!

      Delete
  6. John, Welcome to my world. Until 2 years ago I couldn't even text/message. You have all my sympathies. Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh, I could have done with this course too! I only really started using my mobile regularly 3 years ago and still have panic moments with it OFTEN! It has so many gizmos I am totally ignorant of . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Add me to that list!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw last night a device being advertised to "the young uns" that will take blurry pictures for you in such a manner that you can not be too focussed on it and interact in real life - it even offers useful apps but not "the distractions" so you can leave your phone at home. Modern technology, eh?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous7:58 pm

    Oh Boy! Do I share your pain! I had a Nokia years ago that drove me to drink. I bumped into my son and his 16 year old friends in town, noticed one was on a phone identical to mine, asked him to show me how mine worked and he said “Oh these are crappy phones, they’re so bad” … so I went and bought myself an iPhone (at four times the price!) and solved the problem. Well, vastly improved it. Now, when I’ve a problem I ask the pre-teen grandchildren to sort me out and Whoosh, they’ve sorted it!

    And I’m Virginia, not anonymous … but my iPad is being cantankerous … I need a class too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:00 pm

      I have a cell phone,
      I book Ubers on it

      Lee

      Delete
  11. I've always had iPhones (yes, I am privileged) and I believe that apple products are just inherently more user friendly than other brands. BUT, I have no doubt that my phone can do things that I cannot even imagine. Perhaps launch spaceships to the moon! Could there be an app for that?
    I find that my grandchildren know a hell of a lot more than I do but I don't beat myself up about it. My generation has come an incredible distance from the "technology" available to us as children to now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I started with a flip phone and was fine with that. But the 5g push sent me to an Android which was free. And that's about what its worth. It takes terrible pictures but I do text. I'm a one trick pony.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous12:06 am

    I have an older model iPhone that inherited from my husband...I have no internet/wifi connection to it, by choice. I can only phone and text..but that is enough..and I get it's basic functions but beyond that....even my iMac Computer here is beyond me. We used to have a librarian locally who taught *tech* classes in uses of both phones and computers and her classes were always very well attended and almost always full! I know why..Its hard (for me) to learn new tricks as an old dog (which I am)
    Susan M/ Calif.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What kills me is my latest one didn't even come with a little booklet explaining what all the onscreen symbols mean! Please, God, don't let that happen to my car's owner's manual when it comes to my dashboard!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I only use the Camera, WhatsApp, the Torch, and our security system in France.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes