Lee😞

 

Late News

It is with much sadness that I share with you the awful news that veteran blog commentator “ Lee” died very suddenly on Monday afternoon ( New York time) 

Her cousin emailed me this afternoon with the news and I am honoured to be included in the list of “to be told” people , listed on Lee’s desk in her 5th Avenue apartment
Lee wasn’t her real name , and so I have been asked by her relatives not to disclose any further personal information about her, a fact I will honour but lee was the name of her long term partner who died back in 2005, and whom she missed every day of her life.

I shared with Lee’s cousin her constant need to fight my blog battles for me , and they immediately wrote back that a “battling nature” was  a constant in Lee‘s life. 
They told me, that once Lee had witnessed an Asian shopkeeper being racially abused in a store off 2nd avenue , at 71 she had hurled cans of coke and beer at the abuser until they backed off, waiting as a bodyguard until the police arrived.

I remember her championing every troll attacked blog , with a potty mouth and acid humour. She was loyal and sweet and we emailed each other regularly, with silly stories and mutual support amid periods of loneliness and bouts of ill health. 
I so wanted to share a dirty martini with her at Docks on Third Avenue
But alas I never have

Her family has requesting anonymity but have agreed to send me a photo of her as long as I don’t publish it. 
I will treasure it when it arrives 

Lee was a supporter of many New York charities including the mental health charity The Jewish Board which is a leading social services agency charity for the city

She will be missed for sure 

Hey ho 😥🌈

27 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear this John. I checked your comments and she commented on Monday! I remember how she always stood up for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She died not long after Ellen which pains me x

      Delete
  2. Yorkshire Liz8:22 pm

    I am so sorry to hear this John. I always looked for her comments full of quick wit and often a masterwork of brevity. And she always made me smile and nod agreement. I knew nothing of her except through her comments and it is good to learn more and read your heartfelt tribute. She will be missed. Please pass on our condolences to friends and family from a small corner of the Going Gently family. And God bless her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will photoshop this blog entry and forward it on

      Delete
  3. I never read her blog. I feel like I should go back and learn a little about her. She sounds like someone I could very much be friends with.
    I am sorry for the loss of all who knew and loved her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest , she never had a blog , she was a maverick, a lesbian Jew with attitude …..she one told me she should have been a gay man lol

      Delete
  4. Very sad news. Condolences to Lee's family, friends and of course you, John. It sounds like she was a true warrior for the underdog in any fight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She loved her dear parents who died in the 70s

      Delete
  5. She didn’t go gentle into that good night… it’s amazing how much people, which we knew only via Internet can have an impact on our lives… beautiful post about Lee you wrote, John 💐🌈

    ReplyDelete
  6. Her comments were always so pithy and spirited. She will be sorely missed here in blogland as well as by her friends and family. It was good of her relatives to contact you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She hated. Ursula with a vengeance

      Delete
    2. Anonymous10:30 pm

      Hello John
      Keith here

      As u know I knew Lee, and I met her a few times in New York. A delightfully bizarre character dressed in many layers and colours
      I loved her too

      Keith

      Xx

      Delete
  7. Very sad and shocking! She was just here posting yesterday. I hope she knew how much we enjoyed her comments, admired her feisty ways. If I ever get to Dock's, or even my Irish pub in the village, I will raise a dirty martini in her honor. Cheers, Lee.
    John, I am sorry for your loss, I know you enjoyed Lee's presence here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lee played an important part in your blog, John. We could count on her comments to always support you. I will miss her. She was dear to me because she was such a good friend to a friend! Condolences to all affected.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh gosh,what a shock. She was a good friend to you John.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1:24 am

    Will miss Lees comments! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sorry to learn this news. We will miss her comments here. I believe she sent you some lovely martini glasses one time. I loved her comments to your trolls!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We should all raise a glass to a sassy lady. Cheers, Lee! 🍸xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous1:30 am

    I’ve been to Docks (it was a favorite of my mother), and I lightheartedly pictured running into you there every time you mentioned it. So sorry for the loss of your friend. Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bloody hell. I'm sorry John.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous2:24 am

    Even if you never saw her physically, she was a good and dear friend, and you to her.You never would have met her without your blog. My condolences to her family and you.Jen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh. How shocking! She was a feisty thing. I got a kick out of her.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Barbara Anne3:50 am

    Oh, John,
    What deeply sad news that Lee has died. She and her wit will be missed by me in addition to you and lots of folks here.
    Group hug!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous4:03 am

    Oh John, I always loved Lee’s conmments. She could say so much in so few words.. I’m thinking of you and her family . Carol in Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's like losing a family member. Fellow bloggers become that important. RIP

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes