Home

 

Fifteen years ago to the minute, I would be opening the field gate for the last time in the day . 

In small groups of threes and fours the hens would already be  making their way to the eight hen houses that made up the Ukrainian village, the fat bottoms of the buff Orpington’s swinging like the hips of buxom Italian field workers.
The runner ducks stood in a large almost hysterical group by the duckhouse, all drumming their feet on the ground in nervous excitement. Two steps forward and a quick raise of an arm , and they would chunner loudly and dive into their house in a blind panic 

The Geese knew then it was their time for bed, and would extend their necks and unfold their wings  at me in feigned protest but that protest was never too marked , for minutes later they were seeking the softest part of the goose house floor in which to nest for the night.

Boris and Gloria follow. Boris puffing and blowing like a freight train and galleon in full sail, Gloria limping like the fat old lady she is

They have to be escorted more slowly as, rushing a turkey always makes them fall over
They don’t roost quickly, but watch me carefully as I walk away to sort the last of the birds 

With the latch on the turkey house firmly locked the last of the long lines of hens weaved their way homewards, most overseen by a protective cockerel with his head raised high and weaving in between them but moving towards the graveyard came the rugby ball shaped guinea fowl, all running low to the ground . They were off to roost in the Elm trees and they called to each other in clicks and tuts, like humorous clockwork toys as they fled to bed.

The pigs snort loudly and sigh in their straw beds, as the light finally changes to a colourless grey and finally the last of the hens tiptoe to bed. I lock each hen house door in turn, and smile to myself as the birds bicker and squabble for the best perches inside. 

Left outside on the field is Albert ,and perhaps George who is tottering behind , quite happily. 
The three of us amble for home as the sheep kneel then lie in the grass border under the hawthorn and the lights from the cottage suddenly fall across the lane , leaving a path for us to follow, 
As night falls at last…….




56 comments:

  1. Lovely word pictures of your farm families and your evening routines in getting them all safely to bed or perch. How sweet it was and is.
    Another for your book, eh?

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs babs๐Ÿ“๐Ÿฆƒ๐Ÿฆ†๐Ÿ–๐Ÿˆ‍⬛๐Ÿชฟ๐Ÿ‘❤️๐Ÿ‘€๐ŸŒˆ๐Ÿธ

      Delete
  2. Your way with words is quite superb John. There is warmth and such affection in that description. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. You have a really important and rare ability in storytelling John - you create an atmosphere. I do not only see the place you're writing, I can feel it!
    Hugs and kisses, always pleases xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear polish friend xxx ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ฑ

      Delete
  4. Anonymous7:04 pm

    Beautiful prose, definitely part of a book chapter that you will write I'm sure. thank you (Ro, n.w.Italy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ro xxxx ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น

      Delete
  5. Robin7:38 pm

    That was beautiful John.❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I knew your blog when you had all of these birds. You paint a nice picture of your time with them, John. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. A picture of bucolic bliss. If you don't write that book soon, we're all going to descend on Trelawnyd, pitchforks at the ready! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How very Dracula lol ๐Ÿง›‍♂️

      Delete
  8. Another evocative vignette as only you can write them, John!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My old dear friend ๐Ÿ‘€๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒˆ

      Delete
  9. Anonymous7:52 pm

    Oh how I loved the gentleman farmer John and animals blog years. Do you miss it? You made it so appealing but I think actually was very hard labor. Thanks for the memories

    Lizzy d

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss the bucolic nature of the days I do indeed

      Delete
  10. Not to make this all about me BUT I remember those days and think how long we have been friends!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have indeed old friend ๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ท๓ ฌ๓ ณ๓ ฟ

      Delete
  11. That was after we connected for the first time, I think. Time flies. And so much changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember meeting you back then, you were ( are are) so exotic xxx

      Delete
  12. The Under Milk Wood, feathered variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I doubt that xx but thank u ๐Ÿ“๐Ÿ“๐Ÿ“๐Ÿ“๐Ÿ“๐Ÿ“๐Ÿ“

      Delete
  13. Anonymous9:30 pm

    John, this should be published! It definitely would win an award! Sending love, peace, and joy, Carol in Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've painted quite the picture with your words. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. John, this is so beautifully written. It's perfect. I had to give my chickens up due to a fox problem and I miss them so deeply. There was something exquisitely soothing about their gossip as they made their way around the yard, scratching in the dirt for their dinners. I miss the way the rooster would tidbit to the ladies, how he kept watch. And yes, I miss the way they made their way into the hen house every night, the sound of their feathers as they awkwardly flew to a roost, the way the rooster would sometimes sleep with a hen under each wing, the sound of the heavy wooden door as I'd close and latch it for the night.
    I WILL have chickens again someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you when i wrote this, as I knew you would understand it more than anyone xx ❤️๐Ÿ™

      Delete
  16. Anonymous10:48 pm

    you have such a way with words that I am still stunned at times... this was one of them. How beautiful....I can see, hear and smell and sense.....every single thing you speak of. what gift you have....
    Susan M/ calif.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™❤️

      Delete
  17. Wow indeed! That was marvelous prose.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am not sure why this reminded me so of Weaver. The peaceful picture you painted, maybe. Very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss her too….but strangely her namesake has stayed with me

      Delete
  19. That reminds me so much of when we had Chickens and Ducks in France. The evening ritual was very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes keeping everyone safe until morning

      Delete
  20. I fell in love with your animals with scenes described like this. You must miss so much of those times although I know sometimes it was really hard too.

    Beautifully written John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DearHeart , thank you ๐Ÿ‘€๐ŸŒˆ

      Delete
  21. Anonymous6:35 am

    Bravo pour votre joli brin de plume!Vous avez du talent pour l' รฉcriture. La martre a dรฉcapitรฉ mes poules un matin alors que j' avais ouvert la porte du poulailler trop tot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci xx .
      “Kudos on your lovely writing style! You have a real gift for writing. A marten beheaded my hens one morning when I had opened the coop door too early.”
      Thank you someone French
      ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™

      Delete
  22. A very poetic picture has been painted with words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s easy Andrew when I loved the moment ๐Ÿฆƒ

      Delete
  23. Anonymous9:55 am

    Beautifully written, John. I can picture it all in my mind's eye. Just lovely. Carole R

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gloriously well-written, John. It is as if I am there, watching you. I hear what you hear, and see what you see. That is the beauty of great writing - which comes from keen observation. And like the English, written in just the right amount of words - no filler. LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karla ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿˆ‍⬛๐Ÿชฟ๐Ÿฆƒ๐Ÿ“❤️

      Delete
  25. Long time follower here John...I'm sure you are quite happy with just your dogs and cats but i must say i miss the menagerie ..... :) Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss them , i miss my life with my husband , i miss it all

      Delete
  26. Anonymous3:52 pm

    Lovely peaceful scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️❤️❤️❤️๐Ÿฆ†๐Ÿชฟ๐Ÿฆ†๐Ÿ–๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿˆ‍⬛๐Ÿ“๐Ÿฆƒ

      Delete
  27. Anonymous5:46 pm

    Che racconto meraviglioso....per un attimo dalla tua descrizione ho pensato a Weawer of grass. Abbracci Ombretta (littleshadow) from Italy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful story... for a moment, based on your description, I thought of *Weaver of Grass*. Hugs, Ombretta.

      Thank you Ombretta x.

      Delete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes