I couldn’t sleep after nights, so played this Spanish / Jewish lullaby on a loop until Weaver joined me on my hip, and we both dozed until just after midday.
Blog Reader Lee had been taken ill on her beloved bar stool, I found out yesterday
I thought that this was quite fitting and had some of the theatre about the woman who always seemed to sit in it.
Her cousin told me that the Hebrew Language had a saying Lisgor ma’ahal which fitted her place of death, as its means the closing of a circle so to speak or the resolving of a life chapter 🍸
I miss her already

I think there are many who read your blog who will miss Lee. She was certainly an outspoken, no-nonsense lady. I'd love to have met her in person.
ReplyDeleteGood to see Weaver finally mellowing a little! How's Mary? xx
I sensed she laughed a lot
Delete"The circle of life", indeed John. Hope you can read the emails Lee sent you over again so she won't seem so far away. I'll miss her, too. NYC seems a bit emptier without her.
ReplyDeleteHope you're not working tonight so you can sleep then.
Hugs!
I met her twice , neither time at “ your mutual bar “;but both at Harry’s Bar at the Helmsley Hotel on 42nd Street which is close by .
DeleteI liked her.
She was like you John, warm and witty and very able to hold court with stories of her family dating way before the war.
I sensed she was lonely , and knew she loved the company of gay men . But she was unwell back then ( 2023) and cut one meeting short , even though she surpassed my drink quota
Keith
Xx
I liked this entry , mainly because in the early 2000s my husband and I stayed at the Helmsley as well as hotels near Docks down on 2nd Avenue west gate hotel all central to Lee’s patch
DeleteBabs , she also sent me greeting cards , filled with writing and anecdote's,, always written in green
DeleteJohn ,
DeleteShe reminded me of a cross between an older Bette Midler and Tallulalah Bankhead …she always flirted with the bar staff
Keith
Xx
Ps ive emailed you
DeleteOh, I would have loved to meet Lee and can imagine her as a delightful cross between Bette Midler and Tallulalah Bankhead. What a woman!!
DeleteJohn, hope you've still got all those memorable greeting cards from Lee, perhaps tied up with a green ribbon?
Hugs!
Lee would have laughed if she had known she would take ill on her favourite bar stool! And it would also have been her choice, so try not to be too sad. She died in her own style, just as she lived, and I applaud her for it. If only we could all have the same choices. Seem to recall one of our best stock actresses of the Forties and Fifties passed in the same manner - on a bar stool with a G'n'T in hand. Could it have been Heather Chasen? Can anyone remember? In honour of Lee?
ReplyDeleteThat seems quite fitting. We die the way we live. I'm sorry for your loss John.
ReplyDeleteOur loss
DeleteLee would have loved that ending for herself. I looked at NYT obituaries, being nosy, didn't see a possible Lee, to add respects to online.. Monday is an important Jewish holiday and I will keep her in my thoughts. [not that she'd want or care, lol.] Cheers Lee. 🍸
ReplyDelete🍸🥂🍸
DeleteI think she would want, I sensed she liked being liked
DeleteI'm sure you have done so, but please pass our [my] sincere condolences. Her niece/cousin? sounds kind.
DeleteClosing of a Circle seems about right as we pass on.
ReplyDeleteCome on troll , I’ll have you if you dare to show your face
DeleteThere seems something fitting about the bar stool. Some people don't suit the long, drawn out way.
ReplyDeleteI am sorry for your loss John. Lee was a great blog friend. She will be missed. You and she especially had a lovely connection.
ReplyDeleteShe's resting in peace. The circle of life, indeed.
Susan
I think it was the way she would have wanted to go. It must have been quick for her to have felt okay to go out and I hope she finished at least one dirty martini before she felt ill. I miss her here already. She was a very memorable character and won't be forgotten.
ReplyDeleteEnjoying life, as long as we can.
ReplyDelete