Treats


 The treat today was half melted vanilla ice cream ( low fat low sugar) there is nothing better on a hot day, than its thick soup like consistency, confined to the sides of the container, which is easily removed with a plastic spoon.
Comforting, like a scotch egg, corned beef hash , or a fish finger sandwich.
I’ve comfort eaten my entire life. My grandmother loved boys with healthy appetites 
Ice cream was always a sporadic treat

I had my first on line Spanish lesson today with Josè I’m teaching him conversational English and he’s teaching me basic Spanish. He’s a counsellor like me, so we spend much of the time giggling over my terrible lisping. I think he’s intrigued by my obsession with King Filipe and Scotch eggs ( which you can apparently can buy quite easily at an Iceland just outside Alicante he told me) 
His job is easy, he just walking around his apartment , pointing at things ….

My Spanish lesson was my only human interaction in two days, I need fingers through my hair 


Weaver with some ice cream, below is Bun





50 comments:

  1. Living alone can be very isolating, take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hester , sometimes it can , you are right

      Delete
  2. Barbara Anne8:02 pm

    Yum! Ice cream at any time is a treat and it seems that Weaver agrees.
    Might it be time to rejoin Tuesday evening choir? You did enjoy that so very much.
    Isn't it a delight to enjoy family recipes so you can taste again the love from those who are gone?

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, after your human interaction at the hospital, I'm not surprised you've steered well clear of humans for a day or two. I do agree with Barbara Anne about rejoining choir. I bet you've got a lovely, deep baritone voice and I know they'd welcome you with open arms!
    Good to know you can get an emergency Scotch egg in Alicante. You just need to book a flight! 😋 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I felt in need of someone rubbing my hair after the catheter thing…it’s purely selfish HH

      Delete
    2. Not selfish at all, you just needed some gentle, caring, human interaction. Please accept a soothing hair stroke sent over the ether from me to you. xx

      Delete
  4. My grandmother liked a ''healthy appetite"--but she shamed my brother for being too thin, and me for being too tall. It's a wonder we're both normal, as my mom never stood up for us and was terrified we'd be FAT KIDS.
    Must you lisp to speak Spanish? My Spanish isn't great, all about the garment production world, but no one ever asked me to lisp.

    Ice cream dinner! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No my teacher insists on the proper pronunciation , lisping is appropriate especially when you say Barcelona correctly

      Delete
  5. The choir in your last post is just amazing. I may need to be buried in Trelawnyd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right, it’s the night before counselling too

      Delete
  6. Hope you are enjoying your Spanish lessons .. It sounds like a fun way to learn.
    I found Spanish the easiest language to get to grips with - even with the lisping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we spend much of the time giggling

      Delete
  7. That sounds like a good exchange of lessons!
    human interaction is sometimes overrated...there are occasions when one reaches one's limit. However you do have feline and canine company

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weaver has an obsession with olive oil , and has been caught trying to force her tongue into the can in the kitchen lol

      Delete
  8. Weaver looks appropriately suspicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:15 pm

    Dear squire Johnno,
    I understand this need…..I go to Docks everyday to chat , to my friends, to the staff, to my lovely server, to family in Long Island by video…..
    To you by my comments
    We lonely people should stick together
    🍸🍸🍸

    Dearheart

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  10. My grandmother's idea of a treat for her grandchildren was to buy a small paper bag of Mint Imperials from the travelling shop that called at the farm once a week. This bag would live in her pinafore pocket and a sweet would be handed out very occasionally. That's one bag weekly, between however many of her 17 grandchildren happened to be around.
    We had home grown veg, home cured ham, home made bread and we collected eggs daily. Looking back, food was simple but very healthy. She lived to 93.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In those days treats were small , humble and so appreciated

      Delete
  11. That's a nice little barter system you've got going on; and learning another language is always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad to see the girls at home. 🐈‍⬛🐈‍⬛🥰
    Hope you're feeling better, a bit brighter, a bit cheerier, John dear.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have you got a new way of working out which cat is which? I think that trauma of the catheter incident will colour your perception for some time. And no wonder. It still makes me cross just thinking about it ! Did you offer the dogs any ice cream? As a child we had a cori who would chase the ice cream cardboard all around the kitchen, until the last bit was gone. He was too stupid to put his foot on it to hold it down. (Remember the days of ice cream being packed in cardboard, and the funny flavour it gave thrice cream?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea who is who …I’ve given up the questioning

      Delete
  14. I've recently been buying boxes of frozen Lemon and Raspberry Cones. They are delish. I'm not sure if they're sold in the UK, I must look when I return.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You need to get out more with friends, even if it's just a walk.
    Sending hugs sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Uh oh, there’s no turning back now for Weaver. Family mealtimes when I was a child tended to be formal and upsetting (my father would always get angry about something). I never really developed the habit of comfort eating. Eating was not comfort. However, ice cream usually made for a happy time at home. When Häagen-Dazs arrived on the scene in the early 60s, my mother would buy us each our own container (and she labelled them). The reason she did that was because ice cream was HER comfort food and she didn’t share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My own Häagen Dazs …fucking bliss

      Delete
    2. It was! SG and I continued that ritual for years. With Ben and Jerry’s and whatever else was good.

      Delete
  17. It sounds like a quiet day or two, can be very healing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Krayolakris1:04 pm

    Thank goodness for being able to connect through the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Vanilla ice cream is one of my favorite treats.
    Hope you can get out for a walk and see some neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I cherish my times alone but I'm just like that. I believe it's because when I was a child, the only time I felt truly safe was when there was no around but me. Otherwise, there was a constant feeling of fear and dread. Day and night.
    All right. Send me the bill for this counseling session!

    ReplyDelete
  21. If theres one treat i CANNOT turn down its icecream.. and vanilla is a favorite... ofcourse i could name off many more...lol Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  22. Have Weaver and/or Bun ceased their wandering?

    I do love half-melted ice cream. I hope Jose is teaching you more than just nouns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both have been here almost 2 weeks , I suspect a host family is away on holiday

      Delete
  23. Anonymous9:05 pm

    You sound sad John

    Keith
    Xx

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes