Je Crois Entendre

 In 1988 I saw my very first Opera.
It was The Pearl Fishers by Bizet
One aria Je Crois Entendre, “ I think I hear”
Will always remain one of my most favourite pieces of music 
Sung below so beautifully by Pene Pati


I still believe I hear
hidden beneath the palm trees
her voice, tender and deep
like the song of a dove
oh enchanting night
divine rapture
delightful memory
mad intoxication, sweet dream.
In the clear starlight
I still believe I see her
half drawing her long veil
to the warm night breeze.
Oh enchanting night
divine rapture
delightful memory
mad intoxication, sweet dream.
Charming memory.

5 comments:

  1. What a fabulous voice. And not bad to look at either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a piece I'm familiar with, so thank you for introducing it to me. With those words, I can imagine it being played at a funeral. Quite emotional. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:35 pm

    It's a beautiful aria. Full of sorrow and joy at the same time. It gives a specific kind of hope that this delightful memory will become reality for the one last time - in the breeze, in the sound of a dove or under the palm tree. Like first love.

    Thank you John xx
    D.B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favourite piece in The Pearl Fishers is the famous duet about friendship between the two men.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes