Brassed Off….well just a little….

 The catheter remains in situ until outpatients and my third named urologist in three years , reviews the cause. Things are moving at a glacial pace and I know I’ve been isolating myself because of it all. I’ve said as much here, but I’ve not really done anything about it, using the heat as an excuse not to do things and the natural tiredness from shift work and diabetes to reinforce why I’m not getting on with real life.

My friend John in Sheffield, has been unwell for sometime, he has also lost his father recently but is still turning up for rehearsals at his am dram theatre company like the Barbara Stanwick he is.


And so after several bra strap pulls I’ve booked myself some tickets in October , got a cheap hotel room in Sheffield and have organised for an old Sheffield friend Jane to go with me.
I’ve needed to kick myself up the arse and think of someone else for a change.

Supporting a friend is the right thing to do

I’m meeting Nu for lunch next week in Chester ( she has gone out of her way to sort this!) and have booked tickets to see the North Walian Gay Themed film On The Sea, as well as tickets to the storyhouse in the Park Chester production of Nell Gwynne ( which has had rave reviews) and the comedy play The Other Side Of Murder at Theatr Clwyd .
Chic Eleanor ( “ Darling we must go” ) asked if I would go with her to see Romeo And Juliet in the grounds of Denbigh Castle next week, which was another swing on those Straps ! 

I’ve arranged to meet other fiends on line, and have ok’ed another old friend to visit on Saturday.

Get off yer arse John, I tell myself , get off yer arse! 

21 comments:

  1. Golly, you have a lot booked. I like the sound of the "meeting old fiends on line"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. I know you're grieving but the thing you need the most is your friends around you. You need their hugs and you need to tell your story to them. It's how we process things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You’re doing a better job of getting off your arse than I am. Good for you. I can’t believe you still don’t know the cause of your most recent health issues (and that damned catheter). I’d be brassed off, too, and probably more than just a little.

    ReplyDelete
  4. John, you may think you need to get off your arse and do something, but you do so much, it makes my head spin! Anyway, I'm glad you have some fun plans in the pipeline. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:45 am

    Hi John. My husband has recently had his catheter removed after a year. He still has to self catheterised at night. He now feels liberated. He can even wear shorts in this hot weather. We are even going away for the first time in over a year. Still no date for his op but we feel hopeful. So after all that waffle. I can understand how you feel. Onwards and upwards John. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:47 am

    Good for you ,John. You have such courage, it is admirable. Carole R.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seeing friends and getting out will do you a world of good, John.

    ReplyDelete
  8. John, I am certain I would feel the same, if I had a catheter to drag around. My close friends are medicine for me, and I would spend time with them, any way that I could to help relieve my pain. You've fought hard for your life - and they're right there with you, cheering you on, as are we. I will hitch up my big girl panties in support of you! Sending much love from across the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you, John! Resilience and resolve, that's the ticket. And may you enjoy those fun outings to the max.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous11:59 am

    Good to see the old John back. Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are not dead, so live a little and have some fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Krayolakris12:35 pm

    What wonderful plans!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds like many fun outings which will definitely boost your spirits. Good for you, John. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good on you for the ass-kicking. Sometimes we all need a swift kick!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perhaps I should try actually wearing a bra so I'd have some straps to pull up...
    You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish I had your energy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Getting together with great friends will be good medicine. Laugh, talk and enjoy being together. Going places and doing things you love. It is all good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's the spirit, John! Perhaps start with going to choir this eve?
    Visits to Sheffield, meeting with Nu, a play with Chic Eleanor, and a visitor on Saturday will get you moving and laughing. Nothing could be better, my friend!
    Do mind you may need to plan naps or times to put your feet up because you do have diabetes and that can make you tired. Same with my lupus fatigue. Bother, but rest is better than falling on your face or crying from fatigue.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I thought your ''quieter' lifestyle was you being frugal, saving for the Bluebell fund [you do so much!]. I''m sorry that you've been feeling low. Health issues are so overwhelming, even for an experienced nurse like you. The catheter situation would floor a lesser man, I m surprised how many report having to cope w this. Sending a hug.
    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous9:20 pm

    What is wrong with your health system that it takes so long for your issue to be dealt with . After all you work and pay taxes, in fact your work allows others to retain their dignity and be lovingly cared for . If I wasn't 80 and living in Australia I would come over to sort it for you.!
    It’s great to know you have some and friends to catch up with soon🙏♥️


    ReplyDelete
  21. Hope the health issues are soon sorted and that your 'keep busy' plans will lift your spirits.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes