The Odyssey

 


It’s a curate’s egg of an epic, with some impressively creepy bits to it ( the Cyclops scenes for example) and I must admit that Matt Damon is very good in the lead. But it’s a bloody miserable and ultimately boring reworking of an overlong tale of war and bad decision making. 

I would have walked out at the 3/4 time mark but was with a friend so couldn’t 

The best bit

Himesh Patel as Eurylochus grrrrrrrrh

37 comments:

  1. An acquired taste methinks. I've never fancied reading the book, and have no inclination to watch the film. Must admit, though, I could enjoy running my fingers through that beard! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always get squirmy with long movies. Should I wait till it’s on streaming and watch it over two nights?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm waiting until it streams on Netflix or somewhere. But I will watch it, because I love the mythology of both The Iliad and The Odyssey. But yes, judicious editing is always needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara Anne4:12 am

    I had enough of that when taking Latin in high school. Won't be watching either The Iliad or The Odyssey methinks.

    Hugs and good night from the East Coast, USA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Josephine7:29 am

    I loved the book and I loved the movie. I even started rereading the book now. I did not like Troy the movie: too much violence and too much Brad Pitt. He is so attractive that he can only play himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m not bright enough for the book

      Delete
  6. People are certainly talking about it here, especially as it's being shown at an Imax in 70mm at 4K. I must say, it sounded boring to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to see it on imax , but the filming was strangely devoid of colour

      Delete
  7. I'll wait until it's on Netflix I think. I can't make my mind up if I fancy it enough to pay to go and see it ... and if I took Alan he'd just fall asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this review. I will wait for the movie to be streamed, rather than go to the theater. Himesh is delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was the only character that smiled and laughed lol

      Delete
  9. Yorkshire Liz11:33 am

    This version of the Odyssey is clearly like Marmite. You love it or hate it. From the trailers and clips I have seen it is deeply underwhelming. There are also many reports on social media that in the US the studio is buying theatre seats wholesale to inflate viewing figures. Typical is a report that someone hoping for a top seat had to make do with the front row as 98% of tickets were already sold. When he went in there were only sixteen other people there. Interesting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From someone in the states, that's a lie. I went to see it on Tuesday night and the theatre was packed.

      Delete
    2. Yes it was busy here

      Delete
  10. Great movie review, thank you for saving me three hours of missery.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous12:17 pm

    I really appreciate your movie reviews! I doubt if I will even watch The Odyssey on streaming. It is the opposite of what I like in a movie; I prefer small, intimate scripts with a small cast, films that I can relate to. Instead, so many studios make these blockbusters, hoping to bring in the big bucks.
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of A listers with little to do

      Delete
  12. I liked it. I was impressed that Nolan chose to tell the tale in a nonlinear way, since our brains think in a nonlinear way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually liked it!
    Went on a Tuesday afternoon, half price. Theater almost packed (on a Tuesday afternoon!). Worth watching it in the big screen. Saw it in a totally different light!
    I told Dave I have to post about it.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said some set pieces were great, the cyclops, and Samantha Morton’s Cersei especially

      Delete
  14. I don't go to movie theaters anymore. Can't follow the dialogue so I wait to see if a movie comes to a streaming service I have so I can use closed captions.
    I've heard mixed reviews but that is common nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was tin the mood for something so relentlessly moody

      Delete
  15. Anonymous2:41 pm

    Matt Damon as a Greek. Nope.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Uh-oh. I think Dave already bought our tickets! He wants to see it in IMAX.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cinematography is excellent and an academy award will go to best sound

      Delete
  17. Will wait to watch at home although I know it won't then have the same effect.

    I love the mug!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like Matt Damon in most everything i've seen him in... but i'm so tired of the remakes and sequels to things that should have been left alone... Are there no new stories to tell?? Thanks for the review John... Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  19. Everyone is raving about it. Sounds awful, but I get bored at long films.

    ReplyDelete
  20. ooh you have to watch Enola Holmes 3 Himesh is also in that

    ReplyDelete
  21. ooh you have to watch Enola Holmes 3 Himesh is also in that

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes