So says the Latin inscription above my front door.
I was reminded of the phrase last night, when I messaged my ex husband’s aunt to check how her husband was doing
He was very poorly
After being the useful hospice nurse , I lightened the chat and joked about the time, at my wedding that he suddenly called me “ pratface” out of nowhere. The words shocked himself and the room and came after several gin and tonics, but I remember that I chose not to be offended even though in vino veritas.
We laughed about it in the messages
Not being offended is sometimes a hard go to, especially if you have always grown up with criticism and brickbats. But it can be achieved with practice and mantra.
Sometimes in counselling I will reenact a harsh word that was once given to a client by objectifying it.
“Imagine that insult as this box of tissues” I say , placing the box in front of the client
“ Now pick it up”
The client will pick up the insult box and in the silence that follows will sometimes realise that they have accepted its words by their gesture.
They have accepted it , because it fits an old pattern, a low self image and poor self esteem , yet we can all choose not to accept the insult and its resulting emotional fall out.
But it’s hard …..

So true, both the inscription above your door and that it's better not to take offense. The kleenex box is a good analogy, too.
ReplyDeleteWishing just the right amount of rain to all dry areas everywhere.
Hugs!
So true. It's not easy letting go of an insult. The hurt and shame can last many years. I like the tissue analogy. The insult, like a tissue, can be picked up, but can also be discarded.
ReplyDeleteHow great to have the history of your cottage above the door. The stories it could tell! xx
Accepting the words that loved ones use against us can be a hard habit to break.
ReplyDeleteThe use of the tissue box is fantastic.
It is hard to walk away from bad habits
ReplyDeleteYep, it’s hard.
ReplyDeleteMy mother always said: Being offended is a choice. Your choice. She was a wise woman and for this I am thankful. Her recommendation has served me well.
ReplyDeleteI have learnt this late in life but it is a gift to embrace this
ReplyDeleteI find the hardest insults to not take personally are those with a grain of truth in them.
ReplyDeleteIf there is truth in wine, then I am a loving, overly sentimental fool. Sounds about right:)
What a great example to use the tissue box. What the heck does pratface mean anyway? I have to say that it sounds pretty harmless.
ReplyDeleteI don't understand the tissue box--if they refuse to pick it up, they push it aside, does that mean they reject the insult and are strong and healed? or what? How likely is it that a patient wouldn't politely pick up the box?
ReplyDeleteAs a designer/ artist I learned to be thick skinned professionally, when critiqued. But a personal insult , no, never forgotten, never forgiven. Such words show the speakers' true feelings, and it is not love or kindness.
It's very generous of you to touch base w ex's relatives.
This is interesting. I have found that choosing not to react emotionally has been quite empowering. The insult is like an arrow that misses its mark. The archer is hoping to hurt. When you stand looking at him, he squirms in embarrassment at his poor aim.
ReplyDeleteInteresting. As they say in certain recovery programs, "What other people think of me is not my business." So there's that. Some people just do not have the ability to see that their words are hurtful. Those I have learned to just laugh about. They are generally negative about a lot of things so their words carry no sting. It's just the way they are.
ReplyDeleteBut we are human and as such, words can indeed hurt us and often do. We can try, though, to learn that they say more about the person who said them than they are about us.
Do hope you are ok and your exhusband is not as+seriously ill as you thought -best wishes to all the family. I do keep thinking we should be very grateful for what we have and here tp enjoy it! In vino veritas! Xx
ReplyDeleteIt’s his ex’s uncle not his ex
DeleteLee
I wonder what prompted his outburst; Tourette's maybe?
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful to have that inscription over your door. I have IVV painted on an interior wall. I must post a picture one day.
Poor self-esteem doesn't come from nowhere. It's often years in the making and can't be quickly gotten rid of.
ReplyDeleteThere must be a story of why that saying is inscripted on your door lintel. I would love to know what it is. I think I owe you the sum of a session. After a weekend with my ex, I have been working through not accepting his slights. Your words mean more than you know.
ReplyDeleteSo many people would benefit from spending a couple of hours a month talking with you.
ReplyDelete