Drought

 

We  are officially in a drought. Most of the village grass has turned a straw like yellow and shallow rooting plants in the garden have withered and died. The Gop hill looks like any hill in Southern Spain and the fields below it resemble a beige tapestry, of scorched grass and gorse bushes
In my flower beds the buddleja has suddenly flowered and butterflies of all shapes have appeared from no where to pollenate them.
         
Driving through the village I noticed several women on the green chatting in the shade of the surrounding trees, which is another nod to our Mediterranean cousins, it’s nice to see outside spaces used, I love the social meet ups in public areas , we don’t use them enough.

I came home to find a gift on the kitchen wall
A mug from a villager I had tea with the other day, I had commented just how nice the mug was
Now it’s mine
People are very kind. 


12 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:24 pm

    Lovely mug too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we're sorely in need of a good downpour, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon.
    How kind of your friend to give you that lovely mug. The sea theme will fit into your cottage very nicely! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully tomorrow there will be rain , I’ve saturated my laburnum today

      Delete
  3. The mug is wonderful, I d like a pitcher in same design.

    I loved your description of your garden and village on a hot summer afternoon. Beautifully written, a scene painted for us. [can you not water your flowers and grass? Here people use drip hoses. Maybe watering is forbidden due to drought?]

    Thanks for a lovely post, a good opener, scene setter for that book.

    love

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pots can be watered but I can’t use a hose

      Delete
  4. I wish I had been along on that ride. What might seem ordinary to you would be brand new to me and that is why I value your pictures so much.
    I'm guessing that pretty mug will always represent an act of kindness. XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:49 pm

    I’ve seen the fires in Spain and France , scary

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Affable despot jason has just been evacuated with his family in France

      Delete
  6. What a gorgeous mug and a thoughtful gift for you!
    Nice that friends are chatting in what I once heard called "the sanctuary of shade".
    Hope Affable despot Jason and their belongings are safe.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He’s messaged the village what’s app group x

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes