The Gangs Of New York



 Chester Storyhouse, houses the professional Grovenesor Park Outdoor Theatre each year.
We went to see the impressive production of The Gangs Of New York by Kieran Lynn last night and we’re pleasantly surprised to me more entertained than I ever was with the awful film version.
The messages about how corruption, power and American politics go hand in hand were not lost on the audience or the ad-libbing  actors and although the drama was often played for laughs the violence on stage felt visceral, graphic and at times shocking. 
Great performances by Hanora Kamen, Yondola Ovide, and a rather sexy but menacing James Sheldon as Bill The Butcher.
A lovely evening

13 comments:

  1. "We"? Is that the royal "we"? I am glad it was not the royal "wee wee"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had a lovely evening and the production was good. Makes up for the duds you've been to! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chester was always very demure when I lived up near you. It sounds much better now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:10 pm

    Sorry silly question but what do you do if it rains?! Does it have a cover? Where do actors go?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great evening out. I have not seen the film.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been watching The Godfather on tv - I know the scenario without the bloodshed - Honour - respect are vital x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh fun!
    The movie version is not the best, TBH. But yes, the message is quite on point. The more things change in America, the more they stay the same, no?


    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a good performance. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:28 pm

    Glad you had a lovely evening. - Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barbara anne5:35 pm

    I'm glad the performance wass well worthy of your time and money! Yes, sad commentary on the corruption here.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad. I enjoyed seeing the film only because of the flashbacks to old New York and the famous people from that time, too. Not much has changed really!

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes