The Animal and The Snake

Winter 1983
It was cold in February.
I was allocated to a long stay psychiatric ward called Irby, 
Irby was and is a fairly nondescript village on the Wirral.
The ward was a bland place too

The male patients had been in hospital most of their lives and most were institutionalised as well as mentally scarred and ill.

At dinner times they were segregated in order of table manners.

“The Animal”shared his table with no one for his table manners had to be seen to be believed.
His food would fly in all directions in a frenzy of eating no basic behavioural programmes could control, so he was left to his own devices without cutlery or crockery. 
He was given his own plastic plate and a large red plastic mug.
Now, even as a man just out of his teens , I knew nicknames such as The Animal were unacceptable and I always referred to his as George and at first by Mr Urmston* , running the risk of alienating some of the more institutionalised staff.
But I played dumb and sweet and young and got away with it.
You can get away with a lot if you smile and look very young.

Now George wasn’t a hard patient to look after. He followed requests and slept for much of the day , so the dinner time eating frenzy and his penchant for eating flowers out of vases was his only vice as I remember. 
The only patient I didn’t like was younger man called Henry. He retained a mean streak in his personality and liked to oil his hair like a spiv. He was a bully and loved frightening student nurses like myself by stalking us around the dayroom furniture. He only did this when the trained staff were busy.
But they knew what went on as his nickname they gave him was The Snake.
The Snake cornered me several times and slapped the back of my head just once before I stepped up to him, but one day he made the mistake of goosing a domestic member of staff as she brought in the dinner trolley.
Lunchtime was halted
Before anyone could react George had stood up inserted his hand into his red plastic mug and made a fist .
With his arm raised above his head he ran over to the snake and whipped his hand down, knocking the Snake hard on the head with a loud pop. 
The snake collapsed onto the floor and George sat down at his table as though nothing had happened .
I don’t remember what happened to the snake. I think he just lay down in one of the two locked dormitories that were full of beds, neatly made up for the night, to recover.
But I do remember what happened to George as the charge nurse maintained order and
Pointing to George , he said to me 
Give him Extra potatoes and gravy “
And with a tiny smile, I did just that.

* a pseudonym 

43 comments:

  1. It's a sin to kill a mocking bird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Thanks for the morning laugh! Although it's Friday I needed that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was funny at the time as George was made into a reluctant hero .
      Henry had more potential for treatment and did move on to better more peaceful things

      Delete
  3. The stories of a life as a caregiver,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like he deserved extra potatoes and gravy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did.
      His appetite was blamed on ECT therapy given to him for depression in the early 60s

      Delete
  5. For some strange reason, George made me think of Roger. Not the eating habits, but the gentle, quiet soul, who can turn on an injustice with frightening speed. I imagine Roger would do that if ever you were in danger. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t make it clear in the story. I think he wasn’t championing the domestic, Henry was disrupting dinner time

      Delete
  6. Sic semper tyrannis (or something like that).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara Anne5:32 pm

      That is the motto of the state of Virginia: 'Thus always to tyrants.'

      Delete
    2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sic_semper_tyrannis

      Delete
  7. A nice memory, well told. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking back through rose tinted glasses I could have challenged some of the care more.
      True I didn’t join in with name calling and I remember getting into a spat with a nurse there for using saucers when I gave out the tea.
      But I didn’t report the more unpalatable parts of institutionalised care , ( including a beer brewing barrel hidden in the back toilets by the charge nurse)

      Delete
  8. Reminds me of the movie "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest". Have you seen that, John?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CatherinefronsouthofFrance1:28 pm

      I am not John but I answer you,Ellen,this filmais terrible!

      Delete
    2. I always felt the uk psychiatric care system was leaps ahead of the American system
      I know the mental health act had a great deal to do with this

      Delete
  9. The old hospital I visited during the 70's had corridors and wards which I wandered into - looked depressing and a bit scary - I hurried on and some others were locked but I peeped in - and returned to a day room where I felt more comfortable x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was only one locked ward in our hospital as I recall

      Delete
    2. I think I walked between some elderly people sitting on hard chairs in a large 'cold hall/ward- One lady was holding a doll -A nurse took me through the door back into a corridor x

      Delete
  10. I tried very hard to treat everyone as people, but I can tell you that the forensic unit of a mental hospital that I worked at for a time was just plain scary. A sweet-faced woman took a real fondness to me, and I wondered about her background. She had beat her husband to death with a piece of furniture. The old Indian that sat quietly but listened carefully? He was perfectly fine but an alcoholic. He got violent every time. In the controlled environment of the mental ward, with no access to alcohol, he seemed harmless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, interestingly , the older staff and some of the patients totally missed the farm that was part of the hospital which closed in the 1950s
      The farm was staffed by patients who worked very hard for a wage.
      Patients had a purpose, better health and therapy
      Staff were not as bored or as Negative

      Delete
    2. A good point there. Fresh air and physical activity is good for all

      Delete
  11. Barbara Anne1:43 pm

    sometimes justice is swift!
    When I was a student nurse, psychiatric wards were amazing and heartbreaking.
    You're a born storyteller, John. Now about that book ...!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a sad story I think, which hopefully could not happen today .
      I didn’t know better then and it frightened me , but I knew from the get go , that care could have been better

      Delete
    2. It’s a sad story I think, which hopefully could not happen today .
      I didn’t know better then and it frightened me , but I knew from the get go , that care could have been better

      Delete
  12. Happy St. Patrick's Day, and great story. I bet Snake, having been put in his place, chilled and behaved himself thereafter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George flared up regularly but only where food was involved

      Delete
  13. So George's real name was Mr A Pseudonym?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did a summer's clinical at a Florida state hospital for psychiatric patients and I will never, ever forget it. I learned so much from "my" patient who, on the first day we were there and scared as little mice, jumped on my back. Whoa! But she ended up being so very sweet and would tell me, "Mawee, I have pwoblems." She'd been in an institution her entire life because she was mentally challenged and placed there because her family could not take care of her. Of course her institutional life left her with far more challenges.
    It was a horrible place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes my friend they were horrible places, which ran on military lines by institutionalised staff.
      However, they, like most things in life, were a product of their times and I never once saw any cruelty during those salad years.
      The attitudes( the table hierarchy , the inappropriate nicknames etc) were soon weeded out too when the wards themselves closed soon after I left the ward.
      Henry was moved to Acton ward which was a rehabilitation ward and I did a placement there a year or so later.
      He was much more appropriate in his behaviour and never challenged me once more ( although a female patient did) he blossomed in an environment with a mixed population .

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Long acting drugs used for psychosis produced sad shells of human beings

      Delete
  16. Poetic justice at its best. The Snake got exactly what he deserved. Good for George. He knew exactly what he was doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the surface yes susan , but Henry ( the snake) moved wards and surprisingly blossomed ..see my above ms Moon quote

      Delete
  17. George really wasn't happy about his dinner being delayed!

    The farm where some patients worked sounds like it was a positive thing for them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous9:41 am

    Thank goodness you were there to save the day!

    Again.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You paint the scene perfectly!

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes