To Live ( Spoilers)



 I studied Akira Kurosawa’s film Ikiru at University so I was intrigued to see how the melancholic Katuzo Ishiguro would recreate it in this much lauded remake. Interestingly the film is set in the 1950s as Ikiru was, so from the get go, it had turned the tables on the original which had a great deal to say about the modern Japan.

I had been making notes in my head when I was sat with my laptop in the Storyhouse Cafe, sipping a pretentious orange hot chocolate 
There are perhaps eighty people in the public space here. 
A baby and toddler group has just finished a fairly low key and sweet clap a long to You are my sunshine my only Sunshine as the waitresses weave in and out of the tables mostly filled with people studying or working on line. 

Tom Burke 

Living as it turned out, is a beautifully crafted and elegant piece of filmmaking which perfectly captures the stuffiness of post war Britain. It centres upon Mr Williams, a tight, self contained widower who rules his civil servant office with a quiet , almost silent whisper. Nicknamed Mr Zombie by junior clerk Miss Harris ( the doe eyed Aimee Lou Wood) he has no friends of note and returns home each night to a an ungrateful son and his ambitious and money needy wife.
It is an existence, nothing really more, and when Mr Williams finds out he has months to live, he suddenly embarks on a journey towards acceptance by learning to live again.

Aimee Lou Wood

Bill Nighy, breaks your heart in a simple look . 
His lugubrious face perfectly captures the look of a man who hasn’t lived the life he expected and he’s at his most moving when he’s saying very little at all.
You just feel , his pain, 
Plain and simple.
And it is that which is the power of this film as writer Ishiguro and director Oliver Hermanus lead Mr Williams into connections with a whole group of characters who immediately empathise with him and his situation and whose reactions break your heart all over again .

Tom Burke a drunk writer  ,who takes Mr Williams on an impromptu pub crawl is moved to tears when he witnesses the older man singer a Scottish lullaby from his youth and a beat  policeman ( Thomas Coombes) is affected almost in a spiritual way when he finally witnesses Mr Williams enjoying the fruits of his work labours in the construction of a child’s playground in the slum area of London.

It’s a sad, but gently optimistic film which has a great deal to say , not only about living….but about empathy

I drove  home with radio turned off
And thought about what I’ve just witnessed 
It’s winter tonight and my joints are aching 
I made beef stew and dumplings for supper 



31 comments:

  1. Barbara Anne5:24 pm

    You set the stage for your surroundings so perfectly, including the baby-toddler group and their quiet, happy song. The movie you're watching is in sharp contrast to your orange hot chocolate. Another one for your book!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve been somewhat thoughtful all night…off to bed early

      Delete
  2. I love Bill Nighy, your description brought tears to my eyes. I'll have to see this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a sad movie, I cried several times

      Delete
  3. That sounds like a wonderful watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Traveller5:46 pm

    Wonderful review. I am looking forward to this one. I could watch Mr Nighy read a telephone nook and enjoy it. Really liked Ikiru so am intrigued to see it moved to UK. Really like Ishiguro as well - recently re-read The Remains of the Day for book club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is excelled in the Charles Paris mysteries , which are a selection of radio programmes with him as an alcoholic actor who solves murders

      Delete
  5. Being a sensitive sort I expect I'd find it all quite painfull x 🎑

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soulful. I haven't seen it yet, but I have been moved by Bill Nighy in every film I've seen.
    Bonnie in Minneapolis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He looks an old man but when he finally smiled in the film the sun shone

      Delete
  7. Bill Nighy is such a superb actor. I look forward to seeing this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will have to look out for it. Any film with Bill Nighy in has got to be worth watching. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can live without his cameo in love actually

      Delete
  9. Aching is the perfect adjective for me today ... I'm aching for Larry. It's painful today. Very painful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anne Brew9:19 pm

    I like Bill Nighy although he’s always - just Bill Nighy!
    However I’ll give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He smiles just twice in the movie , and when he does, that’s bill nighy

      Delete
  11. I saw a trailer when we watched Mrs Harris goes to Paris, upon your recommendation. I really don't like Bill Nighy though. We may see it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Living or existing? A good question for all. The film sounds quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The film sounds interesting, tho I don't watch films usually. Dinner sounds delicious! It's not very cold here but I plan to make goulash and wide noodles w sour cream tomorrow, nice leftovers I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds like a movie I'd very much like to see. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I hope I can find it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw Ikiru many years ago I remember crying a lot. I adore Bill Nighy so I hope to see this. As always thanks for your thoughts on the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anything with Bill Nighy in it is a wonderful watch in my books. The man seems to exude a certain sadness with a whatever persona to me. I feel he has a completely different story to tell behind the mask he wears so well. I will try and look out for this movie... not sure I will get it in NZ but will try.

    Jo in Auckland

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous8:55 am

    Mr Nighy once had to apologise profusely to me after saying he was too ill for a meeting and then walking into the bar where the meeting should have taken place with his friends - only to find me sitting there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous10:25 am

    Gosh, you write so beautifully. Marie, Melbourne, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  19. Too many fail to live ,before they die

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are a very good movie reviewer. This made me want to see this film.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous3:22 am

    I didn’t read your blog as I plan on, and am looking forward to, see this movie. Can’t wait.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The sun always shines for me when Bill Nighy smiles. Will try to see this even though it might be a painful watch for me.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes