Across the Irish Sea


 This ferry lark is all a bit new to me.
Ok I’ve enjoyed the Manley Ferry in Sydney and years ago I was drenched and frozen on the Seattle ferry over Puget Sound but I’ve never taken my car on one of the new Ferries who boast everything all singing and all dancing.
I’ve yet to find the calming hygge lounge but the public rooms seem spacious and well designed and I love the sound proof boxes set aside for small children to run amok in. 
Every home should have one
The skies were somewhat bleak in Holyhead when I got to the ferry , but boarding was painless enough.

I probably won’t have time to blog again, until tomorrow. 
It should take four hours to drive down to Kenmare and this, my second trip , I am very much looking forward to. 
My first trip was four years ago, and was organised by Nu as a diversion after my husband left me. 
I can’t remember much of the trip except the quietness of her cottage and the beauty of Kenmare. 
I was very bruised and battered emotionally and all I needed then was her quiet company and a bit of sun on my face.

I am a third of the way across the Irish Sea and the sun has just come out as I type, a good omen me thinks .

Tonight I will join Nu and her hubby Jim and her extended family for dinner. I’ve known many of them for as long as I’ve known her , so I’m prepared for the noise.
Tomorrow I will explore Kenmare again before Nu’s party tomorrow evening
The party will be craic as many of Nu’s Liverpudlian/ Irish friends will be there 
They are exhausting and  energising all in the same breath and loudly refer to me as Jonney Gray! Or by my old and somewhat perplexing nickname of cheese and chives ( this is far too long to explain) 
I love them dearly 

I shall also be meeting up with an old friend from ITU and her husband who was a consultant there who have retired only a few miles from Kenmare. I put them in touch with Nu a while ago and they will be coming to the party too..
It’s a small world.

31 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are going to a very good place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun! How long does it take to cross the Irish sea?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Altogether now.......... "If you ever go across the sea to Oirland........" -
    We expect you to return with a sackful of entertaining anecdotes. Have a fine time - plus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ........or even "All together now".

      Delete
  4. Anne Brew9:36 am

    My 1st ferry trip out of Ireland was in the 1950s, on the old Mailboat. There were 3 classes - First, Second and Steerage - Steerage was on the open deck. Many people stood on the deck and faced Ireland till it was out of sight, possibly seeing it for the last time. They would transfer to a ship for New York at Liverpool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Traveller10:15 am

    I love a ferry journey - so much more exciting than a plane.

    One of my favourite ferry journeys was Helsinki to Stockholm - glorious scenery and water like glass and the buffer was pretty good as well.

    Enjoy Ireland and friends

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:34 am

    The Manly ferry
    One of the best trips in the world x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love boat trips of any description :) Have a safe and memorable trip John x

    ReplyDelete
  8. By the sounds of it, you're in for a very busy, but thoroughly enjoyable time. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved that crossing, enjoy the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to Ireland ☘️

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would like to visit that lounge -and to me Kenmare sounds it may be a comfortable soft warm blanket x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you have been practising your Irish jigs. Trelawnyd's answer to Michael Flatley. Oh begorrah! It's Cheese and Chives.!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I admire you so much for driving and going on the ferry ..... the older I get, the more of a whimp I get when it comes to driving a long journey ..... I must try and man up. Have a wonderful time { I know you will } and come back refreshed and revitalised. Nothing better than seeing old friends. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  15. Safe travels! I can't wait to see some pictures from Kenmare.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're going to have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It all sounds wonderful...particularly your group of fun friends. I'm looking forward to details of the gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ellen D.1:31 pm

    Sounds like great fun! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The ferry sounds quite nice; being at sea with wonderful views and salty air is refreshing. IR's green vistas and rolling hills are always lovely. Enjoy your time with Nu. This party sounds like it's going to be loads of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can hear the excitement in your telling of it all. A homecoming of sorts. Oh, do so enjoy every minute!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Barbara Anne2:40 pm

    How brilliant to have somewhere to go - in driving distance - where you are welcome, known, and loved. Everyone should be so lucky.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  22. All sounds like a lovely week end. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  23. If you asked me where that photo was taken, the Irish Sea would have been among my top ten guesses!

    Have a great time at the party. It's always good to catch up with old friends.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds like it's going to be a wonderful party.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love ferries, but this sounds much higher-end (more modern) than I’ve ever experienced. Have a grand time, Cheese & Chives and you do know you’ll have to share that long explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm excited for you. Your weekend sounds just about perfect to me. Have a blast.

    Jo in Auckland

    ReplyDelete
  27. How nice John. To be surrounded by all your rowdy friends...well...I expect that there will be stories when you return!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful break with friends! And an adventure too

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes