The Corn Is Green

 

The actor and playwright Emlyn Williams was born and bred just over a hill or so from Trelawnyd in the village of Pen Y Ffordd which literally means top or end of the road
It is said that he spent some of his childhood in or around Trelawnyd but I can’t find reference to this today. Having said this , I’m a bit blurry eyed this morning, sat, like I am in Russel Square gardens with an Americano and a slight hangover.

The Corn Is Green is Williams’ autobiographical account of how an education furnished by an astute schoolteacher gave a poor illiterate child miner a helping hand in life. 
Most of us will remember the story from the Bette Davis 1945 film.
Powerhouse spinster Lily Moffat ( Nicola Walker) inherits a Manor House in a small rural village in North Wales. Helped by an English singleton Miss Ronberry (Alice Orr Ewing) and a staunch baptist Mr Jones ( Richard Lynch) she turns the hall into a school of boys and in a difficult mission to educate the village children who would have been subscripted into mine work by the age of 10.

The play, which hasn’t really dated in since the 1930s makes use of a fantastic male chorus of singing miners, a stereotype if ever there was one, but it is one that works quite beautifully as the strains of Calon Lân and Gwahoddiad waft gently around the actors and action.

Walker is remarkable as Miss Moffat. Workmanlike and efficient in one breath and a fiery lioness on the mission in the other.she is ably supported by a cast that match her skill and although some of verbalised stage directions was a mistake , this is a production of great worth and one whose message resonates today.

I’m on the way home now. 
Like I said slightly hungover and somewhat bleary eyed .
I will have time for a shower and long dog walk and a sleep

I’m on night shift later….

34 comments:

  1. I like sitting in Russell Square gardens too. So Emlyn Williams was a local lad? Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a garden that seems to be used by locals that’s why I like it

      Delete
  2. Nicola Walker is a gifted actress but I detest "The Split" on TV. It's not her or indeed the rest of the cast - it is the boring plot. Sounds like you caught her in something wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In her entrance , her character lifted the whole production magnificency

      Delete
  3. I remember the film from many moons ago. Sounds like this was a good production. Better get rid of that hangover before work. Some good, fresh Trelawnyd air should do the trick. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve had a sleep and several chillie cheese bites from McDonald’s

      Delete
  4. Anonymous9:40 am

    The grand old dames of English theatre and films will die in time and if there is a new generation of grand old dames, I am sure Nicola Walker will be among them.

    I hope you train was punctual and you get some rest before work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No mention of the sex? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would only get told off!

      Delete
    2. When have you ever let that bother you? Come on darling, dish the sweaty details for posterity x

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  6. I can imagine you sleeping on the train,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I darnt , I would have ended up in Glasgow

      Delete
  7. How lovely to sit in Russell Square Gardens. I admire Nicola Walker and the play sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a square that always seems to be filled with dogs

      Delete
  8. veg artist12:03 pm

    I've not seen the Bette Davis film, but for those who wouldn't be aware, the urge of the Welsh mining communities to educate their sons so that they didn't have to go down the mines was quite a force. Particularly in the South Wales valleys, Miners Institutes carried out education programmes for all ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RAQnC2uqIQ

      Delete
    2. veg artist4:09 pm

      No, def not seen, but this intro has the tune "Dacw 'nghariad i lawr yn y berllan" which I remember singing solo in an Eisteddfod 50+ years ago. Do you ever sing it in choir?. Beautiful folk song.

      Delete
  9. I saw a program about the unionization of miners in the UK. One of the unexpected things was how this unionization tied to workmen's libraries and schools for their children. This sounds like a play that I would like to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An older Emlyn Williams “ directed” his memories on stage like he was making a film….this didn’t work as well as the main production

      Delete
  10. This play sounds excellent. A good story line combined with an outstanding actress makes for great viewing. I hope you get your coffee for the trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It’s an exceptional story. I loved the 1979 Katherine Hepburn version, too, although I don’t know what a person from Wales would think of it. Would love to see this live performance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The singer Toyah played the evil Bessie I remember
      This was a dreadful version me thinks x

      Delete
  12. Barbara Anne3:22 pm

    What wonderful and amazing entertainments you find to enrich your life!
    Hope you had a nice nap on the train and will sleep enough at home to be ready for that night shift.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I slept for two hours this afternoon and feel so much better

      Delete
  13. I have such a crush on Nicola Walker!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a good time was had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Possibly in the late 60's I had booked to see Danny Kaye at The Chichester Festival Theatre. When I turned-up they said that he had gone to Israel to entertain troops, and that Emlyn Williams has stepped in to replace him. EW was extremely entertaining, and I really enjoyed the evening. In fact I suspect he was more fun than Kaye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting cro, I had forgotten that williams was an accomplished actor too

      Delete
  16. I usually love anything and everything that Nicola Walker is in, she is an amazing actor.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes